Author Topic: Dwilight Map  (Read 37120 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Map
« Reply #45: May 07, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
I always imagined the Storms keep area to be like Newfoundland or something, a gray craggy wind swept bleak point of land with frequent storms, winter would be a frozen ice land with icebergs floating in the sea. Summer would once again be rainy and gray all the time.

When I was in Port Raviel, I imagined it to be very tropical with palm and whitesand beaches.

Terran was more temperate and forested with pockets of thick jungle in the south.

As for Asylon I imagine it to be like Canada or NW united states, like Oregon or something.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: May 07, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »
The north-south extant of Dwilight is 2600 miles = 4160 km. If Battlemasteria has the same size as Earth and Storm's Keep is roughly Newfoundland, this put the southernmost point of Madina in the southern Carribean, and Dwilight entirely in the northern hemisphere. This would make sense, I think, with the deserted areas being at roughly the same latitude as the deserts in the American Southwest.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm?clat=47.561485&clng=-52.71267499999999&r=4160&lc=FFFFFF&lw=1&fc=00FF00
After all it's a roleplaying game.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #47: May 07, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
We might also want to consult a climatologist regarding the climes observed on the map. In the end, it's a fictitious map, but since we're talking about it...

I'm not going to talk about the temperature here, and instead about the weather patterns and wind currents. Desert of Silhouettes poses about as much of a "key" region in terms of climate as we get on Dwilight. It means that almost certainly precipitation in the middle latitudes of East Dwilight comes from the east, as that would explain why Flowrestown's peninsula is green, as it lies east of the Divide Mountains, while the Desert lies west, the rainclouds blocked by the mountains which receive the precipitation instead.

Since the "desert" area appears to extend to Sallowtown, that suggests a different system that brings precipitation to the middle isles. It actually does make a deal of sense, as looking to the northwest, the Negative Mountains don't seem to affect fertility of the land. That is a very strong indication that there are at least two major air currents across Dwilight.

Palm Sea is an anomaly, maybe. I'm not a climatologist, and at most I understand a few basics, as well as some lectures on wind patterns during the seminars given at the environmental medicine department about airborne particle transmission. Anyway, Palm Sea appears to be an oasis, but exactly how and why it is located in the middle of otherwise perfectly fine land is strange. Maybe there is some subterranean feature causing this? An example might be an area with different kinds of elements in the soil. And now...I'm not a geologist so I couldn't tell you what exactly might account for it.

And the last "pointer" regions lie in the middle of western Dwilight. Since there is an active volcano right there, then at least Ruins of Walfurgisnacht aren't too hard to understand. But it also suggests a...well, no, it's weird. That means the winds spiral around those lands, more or less. But that might not exactly have a scientific explanation so it makes sense in a fridge brilliance sort of way.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: May 07, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »
Clearly there are three wind currents that affect the Continent of Dwilight.    :)   each affected by one of the Blood Stars!
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #49: May 07, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »
You know the funny twist will be that the Bloodstars are actually three of many portal worlds to the Darkness. Those correspond to the three "duchies" found in the daimonic lands: Ruins=Maddening, Night=Auspicious, Song=Austere. And that is why they shine brightly on Dwilight. lol, j/k.  ;D

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: May 07, 2011, 06:24:51 PM »
The bloodstars are where you go when you win battlemaster... I'm playing there now... Its awesome. 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: May 07, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
Nailing down both geographic terminology and some standard agreements on climate would be an AWESOME thing for the Dwilight University to do. Some kind of big meeting or a call for argumentative essays on the topic or calling some kind of council to meet and discuss it. Could be pretty sweet.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 08, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
Palm Sea is an anomaly, maybe. I'm not a climatologist, and at most I understand a few basics, as well as some lectures on wind patterns during the seminars given at the environmental medicine department about airborne particle transmission. Anyway, Palm Sea appears to be an oasis, but exactly how and why it is located in the middle of otherwise perfectly fine land is strange. Maybe there is some subterranean feature causing this? An example might be an area with different kinds of elements in the soil. And now...I'm not a geologist so I couldn't tell you what exactly might account for it.

Here's a possible reason ;):

"The sand was formed during the last ice age, when large glacial lakes formed and deposited silt. When the lakes dried, the dunes were left behind."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcross_Desert

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #53: May 08, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
Ah, thanks. That's something interesting. That would mean a glacier went that far south...Or maybe not.

We don't know the position of Dwilight on the whole globe (or even if BM world is a spherical planet in the first place). It could be that the continent is located in the southern hemisphere whereby Madina would in fact be the coldest in certain months (and also sunniest in other months. About the same seasonal phenomena that occur in the northern hemisphere occur in the southern hemisphere...obviously, just reversed. I believe that our Earth doesn't have the currents, or enough landmass, south of the Tropic of Capricorn to make us associate our southern lands as cold in winter (Meaning June, July, August). Anyway, no reason to think that the south has to be the warm part of the continent. Although, it seems as though Madina is sunny.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: May 08, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
Beluaterra and Atamara are the only continents with snow on them (in the north). So they are likely the two northern continents of Battlemasterra. East Island, Far East, Colonies and Dwilight could fall anywhere south of them, or south of the north of these two at least (eg the north of East Island could be on the same latitude as the upper middle/middle of Atamara/Beluaterra) I reckon.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: May 08, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »
It would be pretty sweet if someone put together a rough Image of a globe with all the continents on it...
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: May 08, 2011, 09:48:52 PM »
I am 70% certain there is one on the wiki, but I can't find it at the moment... Can anybody help?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: May 08, 2011, 10:01:19 PM »
I am 70% certain there is one on the wiki, but I can't find it at the moment... Can anybody help?

You're probably thinking of the map that shows the South Island, East Island, and Colonies from back in the Spellmaster days.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: May 09, 2011, 02:58:47 AM »

I did it once and posted it, then got yelled at, because supposedly Tom is anti-world maps, or so I was told.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: May 09, 2011, 03:08:48 AM »
Ah, thanks. That's something interesting. That would mean a glacier went that far south...Or maybe not.

We don't know the position of Dwilight on the whole globe (or even if BM world is a spherical planet in the first place). It could be that the continent is located in the southern hemisphere whereby Madina would in fact be the coldest in certain months (and also sunniest in other months. About the same seasonal phenomena that occur in the northern hemisphere occur in the southern hemisphere...obviously, just reversed. I believe that our Earth doesn't have the currents, or enough landmass, south of the Tropic of Capricorn to make us associate our southern lands as cold in winter (Meaning June, July, August). Anyway, no reason to think that the south has to be the warm part of the continent. Although, it seems as though Madina is sunny.

Region names in the north are obviously Nordic. It's intended to be colder. Madina's outlands are "gardens" with a "palm sea" nearby. It's obviously subtropical. This is a northern-hemisphere continent.

Simple explanation for palm sea: it's big. The palm sea is about the size of an entire RL country. A cursory glance at the weather-zone map reveals that Palm Sea and Desert of Silhouettes are the same weatherzone, while the entire Maroccidental Coast, Madina, the central islands, Fissoa, and the areas around Shinnen are also a zone, while the whole eastern coast is another zone. So winds from the east. They hit the coast and disipate fairly rapidly, which presumably indicates some kind of wind coming from the west of Toprak: I propose from the north, actually, explaining the lack of a similar "west coast" weather zone.

This northern wind is stopped at the Mountains of Despair in Occidens, but still makes it into the inner sea. There, in the warmer waters, it continues its southward drift, and presumably westward slightly as well, hence why it misses the Desert of Silhouettes, explaining the dryness of that area. By the time this air mass reaches the southern regions, it is warm and wet, leading to the fertile coastlands, the gardens of Madina, and the jungles of Maroccidens. Different geological features in the Palm Sea have lead to a sandy soil without flourishing native grasses, but the sufficient rain allows for hardier palms to grow and, south of the Palm Sea, in a different soil area, scrub forests grow in Fissoa.

Western Maroccidens is a tricky zone to explain. The area we RP as being a jungle is actually outside of this central air mass's direct path, unless we alter it to hypothesize a strong southwesterly flow, further contributing to aridity in Forland, meaning the fertility along the coasts would be exclusively a product of non-standard weather flows in the central air mass and seasonal fronts from the sea. This setup better explains the deserts and the Palm Sea, as well as the jungles in Maroccidens, but does not adequately explain the fertility of Fissoa.

Zuma weather doesn't need explanation. It's a weird zone.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner