Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Dwilight Map

Started by MaleMaldives, April 22, 2011, 11:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vellos

Quote from: LilWolf on April 24, 2011, 04:43:41 PM
When the Dwilight map was introduced in its final form it looked great. Then certain decisions made it less great(travel times especially in winter, lots of worthless regions, SMA etc.). Combine that with the only one character allowed rule and the player base decline we've had and you've got the current Dwilight, which is probably the least interesting island in the game in my opinion.

And yet, according to the poll here on the forum, it is the most popular continent.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

Quote from: LilWolf on April 24, 2011, 04:43:41 PM
When the Dwilight map was introduced in its final form it looked great. Then certain decisions made it less great(travel times especially in winter, lots of worthless regions, SMA etc.). Combine that with the only one character allowed rule and the player base decline we've had and you've got the current Dwilight, which is probably the least interesting island in the game in my opinion.

This shocks me, I don't understand how you could think that. In my opinion, Dwilight is one of the best things to ever happen to BM.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vanKaya

I have never had a problem with SMA. I don't take it too seriously and I find most players don't either. SMA is only referred to when theres a pretty serious break in IC gameplay or I've seen it being used to suggest to people a more historically accurate way of thinking about something, which I think only hads to Dwilight's incredible culture.

One character per unit is what makes one of the best thing about dwilight possible, colonizing terra nullius! With more people Dwilight would just be a giant version of FEI or something. bleh. (not that I don't want more people on dwilight, its just nice limiting the flow and keeping doubles, which are sometimes abused, off the continent)

Winter travel times suck, but I think that's the point. I really like the idea of a harsh frontier type continent.

Also "worthless regions" I think are one of the coolest parts about Dwilight. I don't know exactly what was being referred to but I assume it's places like the Desert of Silhouettes, Palm Sea and that crazy stronghold city in the middle of the west continent. Far from being worthless these regions have almost become mystified in their uniqueness and elusiveness and I think many players and realms have spent time conspiring on how they could get their hands somehow on one of the famous untakeable ("worthless") regions.

Every thing about Dwilight presents a challenge that requires a creative and bold solution and I think that's why Dwilight is so popular, amongst some at least.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

songqu88@gmail.com

Worthless means in regards to stats. I have no doubt that many people have made Balance's Retreat, Desert of Silhouettes, Palm Sea, and such rife with myths and legends. But it'll be most likely impossible to possess it for long, so there will never be any "established" lore, in the sense that a somewhat stable succession of human generations can call the place home.

Then again, I suppose that's a good thing. After all, places like Shangri-La and El Dorado wouldn't be nearly as interesting if real people actually lived there.

Perth

Quote from: Raz on April 25, 2011, 05:48:14 AM
Winter travel times suck, but I think that's the point. I really like the idea of a harsh frontier type continent.

Yes, they do suck and that's why it's awesome!

For me, Dwilight is the only continent in which the seasons feature is given REAL consideration. In Terran, whole campaigns are planned around the seasons. Food shipments and storage become very important in relation to the seasons.

It's a pretty awesome part of Dwilight, I think.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Shizzle

The seasons _are_ great on Dwilight :) Anxiously waiting for Spring to get new harvests,and what if they fail?

The travel times aresometimes annoying, I guess, but I can live with those.

And the vast Regions that are 'useless' are a great feature! I don't know how many attempts it will take Fissoa to tame the Palm Sea, but one day we will!;) Being able to build a stronghold there would help a lot though, as it attracts hordes of rogues... Funny how the regions population alters between 1 and 100-ish very quickly sometimes, giving birth to lore on it's indigenous people (living underground?)

The doughnut regions are a true asset also, even if it makes you lose a turn.

vanKaya

Quote from: Artemesia on April 25, 2011, 02:44:11 PM
But it'll be most likely impossible to possess it for long, so there will never be any "established" lore, in the sense that a somewhat stable succession of human generations can call the place home.

Then again, I suppose that's a good thing. After all, places like Shangri-La and El Dorado wouldn't be nearly as interesting if real people actually lived there.

Established lore is over-rated. I love the uncertainty of El dorado and atlantis type lore and I think Dwilight offers quite a bit of that. Darfix, the Marwood (forests around T/Rville), the Zuma badlands, Balance's Retreat, DoS, Palm Sea all awesome places that will most likely not be settled by humans for quite sometime.

Well.. the Marwood will... perhaps.. hopefully..

Vellos

Quote from: Raz on April 25, 2011, 10:07:39 PM
Well.. the Marwood will... perhaps.. hopefully..

Oh ye of little faith!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Jhaelen Irsei

Quote from: Perth on April 25, 2011, 09:39:11 PM
Yes, they do suck and that's why it's awesome!

For me, Dwilight is the only continent in which the seasons feature is given REAL consideration. In Terran, whole campaigns are planned around the seasons. Food shipments and storage become very important in relation to the seasons.

It's a pretty awesome part of Dwilight, I think.

Moreover it gives a realistic taste, in Middle Ages (but also in mdoern times even in WWII on the russian front) the military campaings were often influenced by the season and leaders should plan carefully their movemnets in order to avoid being struck in a snowy frozen land with soldiers dying or fleeing. Winter in Dwilight is great, a plus not  a minus

Galvez

Quote from: Vellos on April 26, 2011, 07:58:09 AM
Quote from: Raz on April 25, 2011, 10:07:39 PMWell.. the Marwood will... perhaps.. hopefully..
Oh ye of little faith!
Ironically, we are waiting until spring to start retaking the Marwood.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

vanKaya

Luckily Fyodor is more optimistic than I am at the prospect of a colonized Marwood in the immediate future.

But also I agree with Vellos, the circumstances now are better than they have ever been to start colonizing the Southwest. Terran and D'hara and strong and cooperating, there's potential for help from Aurvandil down the road and Barca seems to be made up of level headed reasonable people.

As far as this Spring operation goes I'm confident we'll succeed in rebuilding Barca better than she ever was, it's just a question of can it be maintained over the winter and how long will it take for Barca to be more or less self sufficient.

Telrunya

Just three more days of Winter!

Vellos

Quote from: Raz on April 28, 2011, 08:54:03 PM
As far as this Spring operation goes I'm confident we'll succeed in rebuilding Barca better than she ever was, it's just a question of can it be maintained over the winter and how long will it take for Barca to be more or less self sufficient.

And, also: can we re-secure Shokalom in the meantime.

Shizzle

Quote from: Telrunya on April 28, 2011, 08:56:39 PM
Just three more days of Winter!

I'm counting the days as well! :P Let's hope Spring brings bountiful harvests for us, and bad ones for all the other realms >:-D

songqu88@gmail.com

Man, winters are great though. There aren't as many monsters to go around messing up your regions. Sure, in winter there's starvation, but when the food is going into the monsters' stomachs, or being destroyed by them, it evens out in the end.