Author Topic: Improving Roleplaying: message groups  (Read 1982 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Improving Roleplaying: message groups
« Topic Start: May 02, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »
Problem
I hate it how you can be having a great roleplay in a region, and then you need to break it off because of IC issues, like monster attacks or whatever. Sometimes you don't want to roleplay in real-time, but take your time and spend a while week describing one event. I am sure many weddings or ceremonies have been abruptly terminated because some characters needed to leave the region...

Solution
As a solution, I would like to see temporary message groups to be created. You could send an invitation to roleplay to all characters in a region, perhaps with a small introduction to the subject of the roleplay. Invited characters could then choose to accept or decline the offer, instantly making clear for the starter of the roleplay if there is any intrest in his initiative.

Far too many times I have tried to commence a roleplay, with hardly anybody replying to it. You can say I should write more interesting RP's then, but it's not fun to have wasted an hour working on your text and seeing it was all for nothing...

Advantages
More flexible roleplaying = more fun

Disadvantages
Might make roleplays further restricted (OOC friends for instance)
Might be abused to send regular messages, though I hardly see a problem there

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Roleplaying: message groups
« Reply #1: May 03, 2011, 02:14:22 AM »
Role playing in real time is part of the unique fun. I rarely do role plays, but one time I did when I was escaping with my unit from an enemy realm. Each turn I would do a role play after the events happened which surprisingly was usually a small battle I won or retreated early. It was exciting because by the time I was almost out I had lose my unit, but still had guys left. Then when I finally get into an allied region, and undead horde kills all my guys. I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to have this wonderful escape, but it was still interesting to incorporate that into my role play.

I know you are suggesting an alternate thing, but the question is it really worth the work of the devs?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 03, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
Why would it not be worth the work of the Devs? Isn't this a roleplaying game? I think roleplays should be done on a different level than the game-mechanical events. In essence, RP should be considered OOC-information, except for the people participating in them.

I mean, if a roleplaying game blocks roleplaying, I think something is wrong. And I'll just try to roleplay with BM people on a different platform, because it is too impractical in-game.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 03, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »
We've seen weddings and such done during Tournaments and you can do Realm-wide / Religion-wide RP etc. without time constraints. I think this Forum is a very nice platform to use for the few situations where you need a great amount of time while not being able to use the current options. Considering those options, this suggestion seems to be a lot of work for little gains.