Author Topic: Limited Wars  (Read 49689 times)

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
Re: Limited Wars
« Reply #120: August 19, 2013, 04:56:20 AM »
I would like the peasants feelings toward a realm have more weight. That might be a quick-fix for stifling wars from rogueing regions and oppressive TO. If the mechanic for regions casting off the shackles of hated (or rogue) rule and joining whatever other beloved realm they had then it would be more difficult to change (and keep changed) the established realm.

Only way I could see it being gamed would be with diplomats...and I thought that was part of the point of diplomats. I could imagine the unintended consequence is border regions may start switching willy-nilly when it would be implemented.

No please, its already annoying enough as it is, and it makes it even harder to declare war against your allies/friends/realms your peasants like
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #121: August 19, 2013, 07:21:10 AM »
I would like the peasants feelings toward a realm have more weight. That might be a quick-fix for stifling wars from rogueing regions and oppressive TO. If the mechanic for regions casting off the shackles of hated (or rogue) rule and joining whatever other beloved realm they had then it would be more difficult to change (and keep changed) the established realm.

Only way I could see it being gamed would be with diplomats...and I thought that was part of the point of diplomats. I could imagine the unintended consequence is border regions may start switching willy-nilly when it would be implemented.
Another issue is they decrease to fast. Loot the region for a day pretty decently, they hate you, a lot. Don't have food for the region? They hate you, start to die, go rogue, then a whole lot more dies because they still can't feed themselves.

So related to regions going rogue, it should be impossible foodwise because its a dumb idea peasantwise? Maybe if we are independant but still don't buy food, it will magically get rid of this food issue. They should be likely to switch to a different realm, but it should be hard to go rogue just because you are starving because it takes some stupid peasants to say, well the only way we are ever going to get food is through our lord so lets kick him out, leave our realm so no lord can be reappointed, then see what happens. Kicking lords out willy-nilly for not providing food is fine and fair since the banker can still fix the issue, but its dumb for them to go rogue.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #122: August 19, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »
Not if they're a rural. Their thinking would be that the enemy is looting the food from this region because it's part of Realm A, if they're not part of realm A maybe the looting will stop and they can till their fields in peace.

For cities you argument might make sense but I see it more as the city descending into total lawlessness due to desperation rather then any conscious effort to usurp the governing authority.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #123: August 19, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
How about allowing people to choose who to kill? Maybe add an option to kill healthy young male adults who may serve as recruits?  8)

Let's say there is a region with 10 000 people. Out of that maybe 2500 are 'recruitable' population? The current option we have is just slaughtering anyone on sight I think but I do not believe they did that. Wars tend to leave orphans and widows but in BM they tend to leave nothing :o

This seems an excellent idea to me. It would allow a winning realm to effectively destroy the war-waging ability of their enemy, forcing them to surrender, without actually destroying the whole realm.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #124: August 19, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
maybe we should just divide pop into soldier material and non-soldier material
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #125: August 20, 2013, 01:19:50 AM »
Isn't that what RCs essentially are? Destroy an RC, and you destroy the ability (to some extent) of an enemy realm to wage war.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #126: August 20, 2013, 01:24:48 AM »
Pretty much, yeah.

And another of the major changes planned to come this fall is making recruitment centers much easier to temporarily disable, while making them harder to outright destroy. This should, again, make economic warfare more viable, while reducing the frustrating super-long rebuilding times that players face when dealing with regions that have been fought over for long periods.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #127: August 20, 2013, 05:09:46 AM »
Recruitment centers are actually quite hard to destroy. I had 15 people sitting in one region to destroy one recruitment center and we couldn't accomplish that for 4 days.

Also, what if you want to keep the recruitment center but you want to prevent your enemy from getting recruits from the center?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #128: August 20, 2013, 05:39:34 AM »
Also, what if you want to keep the recruitment center but you want to prevent your enemy from getting recruits from the center?

If it doesn't happen already, perhaps regions with defenders being of a realm that region is at war with shouldn't have any new recruits.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #129: August 20, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
If it doesn't happen already, perhaps regions with defenders being of a realm that region is at war with shouldn't have any new recruits.
Could you clarify a bit? I am confused.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #130: August 20, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
Recruitment centers are actually quite hard to destroy. I had 15 people sitting in one region to destroy one recruitment center and we couldn't accomplish that for 4 days.

This is true. With 15 people in the region for 4 days, it would have been easier to kill the entire population by looting. The enemy realm wouldn't have been able to use the RC for a long time afterwards anyway.

Also, if you manage to kill half the population, at least you've done that. If you damage 50% of a RC center, you really haven't accomplished anything.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #131: August 20, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »
Also, if you manage to kill half the population, at least you've done that. If you damage 50% of a RC center, you really haven't accomplished anything.
Well thats not completely true. If you damage 50%, that doesn't do anything then, but if you come back a week later you can do finish off the RC again. Do that to enough RC's or at least the higher quality ones, they start to really feel it. Winning a war through destroying RC's might be more work than just looting their region's to oblivion, but its much more profitable receiving regions with a full population then 2000 men with a region that supposed to have 12000, and then waiting 6 months for a region to be at full pop.
― G.K. Chesterton

Jaden

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #132: August 20, 2013, 10:03:45 AM »
Well if you going to take over the region anyways, I dont see a reason not to keep around the RCSs

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #133: August 20, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »
Well if you going to take over the region anyways, I dont see a reason not to keep around the RCSs
They have a bigger army, consistently. You are unable to be able to start a takeover and get it finished as the other realm keeps coming and beating you in battle, so a possible solution would be to loot the RCs. That way you continuously get progress unless they go the spendy route of upgrading RCs to fix the damage, and when the RC is at max level they can't so it can at minimum cost them a lot of gold if they keep upgrading it, or eventually they start to lose the ability to wage war as effectively. Destroying a few RCs might not completely prevent them from waging wars, but if you take out enough, especially the higher quality RCs, they start to not have enough recruits to get a big enough army to keep beating and you can actually take over their regions.

There is more than one way to use the destruction of enemy RCs to your advantage/more than one reason. They keep putting decent militia down so when you go to fight, the other realm keeps winning, then rush there and work on destroying the RCs. While in my first example it was an underdog, trying to even the playing field, my second example was a more dominate force removing that advantage of the underdogs so the dominate force can no longer have issues. A weapon can often be used in many ways against an enemy. this is one that just happens to be underused, I believe because there is a lack of better generals.

A good general IMO isn't someone who is on every turn to give the marshals orders who then relay them, I consider that the opposite, because day-to-day operations of the army should be the marshals job in most cases.  Maybe the general devised a special plan which works best with certain settings or something, but generally its should be the generals coming up with plans and strategies for the war while the marshals do the specifics of what needs to be done/responding to what happens.
― G.K. Chesterton

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #134: August 20, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
And another of the major changes planned to come this fall is making recruitment centers much easier to temporarily disable, while making them harder to outright destroy.

I'll be interested to see how that pans out. Unless there's also some other sort of balancing effect planned, it sounds like it might make it even easier for larger realms to stomp all over smaller ones. Larger realms with more regions will naturally find it easier to disable many of the RC in a realm with fewer regions than a smaller realm will find it to disable enough RC in a larger realm to make any significant impact. If players in a smaller realm have to sit in the capital unable to recruit, Big vs Small wars are going to become even more of a fun killer than they already are.

A good general IMO isn't someone who is on every turn to give the marshals orders who then relay them, I consider that the opposite, because day-to-day operations of the army should be the marshals job in most cases.  Maybe the general devised a special plan which works best with certain settings or something, but generally its should be the generals coming up with plans and strategies for the war while the marshals do the specifics of what needs to be done/responding to what happens.

The problem is that most realms don't have enough players who are interested in the strategic game to make that sort of chain-of-command anything like viable. It's becoming harder and harder to find players who are willing to take on military leadership and are actually enough of a strategy gamer to be any good at it (if they're not good at it, it usually leads to massive frustration and loss of enjoyment for other players who have defeat after defeat). Part of the problem is also that most of the strategy gamers appear to gravitate towards the realms with established military strengths (Perdan, Arcaea, CE, etc). So the lesser realms might have only one player who has both the will and ability to play the strategy side of the game. Or they luck out and get a brand new player who's into strategy gaming.