Author Topic: The Way Forward  (Read 56406 times)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Way Forward
« Reply #45: August 21, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
Bumping this since it went ignored...

I totally agree with most of what you said, but I can't imagine a petition to be a reliable way to solve the issue... one can't simply expect people to start playing "better" because someone pointed out that this might help the game. Unfortunately, vice versa is also quite true: simple game mechanics changes won't really push people into changing their game style. The means to create interesting dynamics are already out there, yet almost everyone (me included) are ignoring them.

What I guess could be the only way out of this I can imagine is to have new and motivated players, who would experience many of these dynamics for the first time and engage in them with the enthusiasm most of us lost simply because we already had our fun with them. Attracting new players and keeping them thus seems the most natural solution to the issues you raised. However, an uninteresting environment hurts a lot more player retention than any other fix can help, and low player retention means less potentially interesting characters coming up.

It's pretty complicated..