Author Topic: "Too Much Peace" Revisited  (Read 23366 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: "Too Much Peace" Revisited
« Reply #15: September 02, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
Thoughts (only skimmed the thread):
1. Make purely informational at first. Eventually phase in as exclusively personal: don't punish a realm (TMP revealed that doesn't work well), punish the people. In a boring realm, make council members and dukes take H/P hits.

2. Don't make it a cast-your-votes kind of thing. Make it a static rating, so everyone "votes" automatically, they can just change their vote: this makes it hard for a small number of griefers to spam the system. If three out of 30 people are bored, they shouldn't be able to use this mechanic to their advantage (because 27 people aren't bored...)

3. Make the game text absolutely crystal clear: i.e. don't mix IC and OOC. If it's intended to be an OOC mechanic, put the mechanic in the gray background with a giant freaking "OOC USE ONLY" warning on it. Or else be ready for ambiguity and abuse a la the vulgarity system.

4. Be prepared for misuse. I give it 3 days before it is used as a protest system. Players will coordinate boredom votes with protests, even if their protest movement is actually making the realm less boring, they'll bump up boredom votes. I would suggest something as simple as, "If you protest, your boredom vote immediately changes to 'I love this realm and am not bored at all.' " Because otherwise there's a perverse incentive to misreport your opinions. If you're engaged in an active protest to remove a sitting ruler, you're not bored. Maybe you're protesting because you WERE bored, but you aren't anymore, so your vote SHOULD change (PS- this would give rulers of bored realms incentives to PROVOKE protest and conflict, which is good for the game!)
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner