Author Topic: Religion Feature Request: Declare Realms Good/Evil  (Read 8512 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
That would be too complex and create direct real/religion diplomacy, which isn't the point.

A minimum time in realm and as an elder would be useful to declare as faithful.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
In that case the rest of the realm may wish to decide to get a new king?
The rest of the realm is most likely not going to be know about this and that could still look like you basically made the realm a theocracy by submitting to them. By the Royal We, if a ruler submitted to this he just made the realm a theocracy, or at least, it can look like that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
In light of recent discussions of ways to improve religion, I'm gonna cast a spell of necromancy on what I still think is a good idea.

And my other religion proposals too.

Because these never really got a clear response from the Devs.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
A neutral position is obviously needed.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
A neutral position is obviously needed.

Oh right, obviously. I guess I didn't state that but, yeah, I would assume religions can be neutral toward a realm.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Details:
Religions would have a menu where they could label religions as "Faithful" "Ignore" or "Evil." Only realms with at least one elder of the religion can be declared faithful.

I assume the highlighted word is supposed to be "realms", not "religions".
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
In order to avoid some of the possibly gamish uses of this, perhaps it could be somehow worked together with the current religious viewpoints. Declaring a realm as "faithful" if the majority of the people in that realm are members of an evil religion should cause some problems for the declaring religion.

i.e. assume Keplerstan and Evilstan both have state religions of Keplerism and Evilism. Both religions consider the other as evil, and both religions have, essentially 100% followings in their regions. If Keplerism tries to declare Evilstan a "faithful" realm (in order to, say, exploit the enhanced conversion effects), there should be some serious problems inside Keplerism. The confusion of declaring a realm full of evil believers of Evilism should cause loss of faith of significant numbers of followers of Keplerism.

This may help remove some of the possible exploitative uses of the feature, and be pretty straight-forward.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
In order to avoid some of the possibly gamish uses of this, perhaps it could be somehow worked together with the current religious viewpoints. Declaring a realm as "faithful" if the majority of the people in that realm are members of an evil religion should cause some problems for the declaring religion.

i.e. assume Keplerstan and Evilstan both have state religions of Keplerism and Evilism. Both religions consider the other as evil, and both religions have, essentially 100% followings in their regions. If Keplerism tries to declare Evilstan a "faithful" realm (in order to, say, exploit the enhanced conversion effects), there should be some serious problems inside Keplerism. The confusion of declaring a realm full of evil believers of Evilism should cause loss of faith of significant numbers of followers of Keplerism.

This may help remove some of the possible exploitative uses of the feature, and be pretty straight-forward.

Hm.

But what about if a lot of nobles convert? You can't proclaim the realm faithful until the commoners switch?

Honestly, I'm not sure this feature request is as sound as the others, like anathemetizing, reporting heresy, religion H/P, and whatever the hell the other one I made that I'm not remembering is. Plus this would be hard to code I think. Probably best to leave this one on the backburner for now.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Hm.

But what about if a lot of nobles convert? You can't proclaim the realm faithful until the commoners switch?

Honestly, I'm not sure this feature request is as sound as the others, like anathemetizing, reporting heresy, religion H/P, and whatever the hell the other one I made that I'm not remembering is. Plus this would be hard to code I think. Probably best to leave this one on the backburner for now.
I agree. What I would suggest is perhaps initially implementing it without the effects other than display, so you can still declare realms good or evil, it just doesn't do anything until whatever should happen is thought of more.
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I agree. What I would suggest is perhaps initially implementing it without the effects other than display, so you can still declare realms good or evil, it just doesn't do anything until whatever should happen is thought of more.

Now that's an interesting thought. Kind of like treaties.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Now that's an interesting thought. Kind of like treaties.
Pretty much, because while it might only have a display impact game mechanic wise, it will have an effect within the game.
― G.K. Chesterton