Author Topic: Religion of Knights effects region morale  (Read 2872 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Religion of Knights effects region morale
« Topic Start: October 17, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
Title: Religion of Knights effects region morale

Description: A lord's religion can effect the morale of his peasants. The religion of his knights could as well.

Details: Just as with a lord, the presence of faithful knights will improve region morale while unfaithful ones will harm it. A lord with peasants who mostly worship another religion will want a few knights of that religion to keep his peasants happy. A lord with a bunch of unbelievers as knights will be seen as something of a pretender to the faith. This system could get especially interesting in regions with mixed religions. It could ad an extra benefit in regions like this if all religions are represented by the nobility.

Benefits: Creates more religious politics. Encourages Lord-Knight interactions.

Possible Exploits: I can't think of any.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Religion of Knights effects region morale
« Reply #1: October 17, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
I like this.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 17, 2013, 08:07:39 PM »
Estate size should be a key aspect of this.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 18, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »
Estate size should be a key aspect of this.

Definitely. Maybe estates could be modified to have their own religious make up.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 18, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
That's getting too detailed, for little to no actual value.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 18, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »
That's getting too detailed, for little to no actual value.

The value is not in the details. I imagine "what's easiest to code" would be a good guideline. As long as there is some influence, the stated goal would be achieved.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 18, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »
Does anyone really care about the lord's religion, except maybe theocracies? No lord's going to care about the knights' religions, either, except theocracies. All this will mean is more region maintenance with the morale penalties.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 18, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
Some of my characters often base their decisions on the religion of other characters. This includes things like voting, appointments, and even whether or not to help clear a region of monsters. Lord is part of an unfriendly religion? Then I don't vote for him, and let his region burn.

And not just characters that are involved in theocracies, either. This should be a more widespread behavior, especially when the religions involved consider the others as evil. There is an interesting opportunity that is being missed on FEI, too, with Sartan's declaration of MA as evil. It's too bad that so many people ignore it and shrug it off, include the leaders of Sartanism. ("Oh, it's no big deal, don't do anything about it, we're just doing it just because...")

However, I do agree that this request is unlikely to result in anything positive. This is too fine-grained.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 18, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
I'm with Indirik on that I play my characters to care. Unfortunately, religion matters so little to others, my caring usually is only 'stop being a pagan' more than 'your faith sucks'.

I do think this feature makes sense and I support it, but it definitely isn't one of the highest development priorities either.