Author Topic: Tournaments, Pt. 2: Stagger the Rounds  (Read 1430 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Tournaments, Pt. 2: Stagger the Rounds
« Topic Start: September 23, 2013, 02:41:58 AM »
Title: Tournaments, Pt. 2: Stagger the Rounds

Summary:

Currently, tournaments run all at once in a large bloc of text, and then everybody goes home. Change that so the rounds are staggered throughout the tournament, giving people time to roleplay, write and react about the earlier matches, and speculate on the matches to come.

Details:

- list the random match up of knights in both the grand melee and joust before the round begins so people know who they will be matched up against for that round, ie "Round 1: Sir Jontos Perrimont vs. Lord Pemberly Harristan", and so on until all knights are matched in both the grand melee and the joust, with extras as wildcards, then the round runs, then the next match up is picked from the victors of round 1 and displayed at the end of round 1, and round 2 runs a turn later.
- stagger the rounds, so that only 1 or 2 rounds run a turn
- conclude with the finals as usual, and then allow everyone a turn before sending them home

Benefits:

- more ability to roleplay and react to what's happened in a tournament during the tournament
- makes tournaments more fun more immediately, instead of the "waiting for the big scrolly bit of text to run" it currently is now
- will make the changes proposed in "Tournaments, Pt. 3" possible

Possible Exploits:

- may make tournaments drag on for even longer than they already do; while this is not an exploit, it could be used by realms to ambush enemies who have the majority of their forces at tourney, etc. - again, not an exploit IMO, but more of a benefit: cutthroat, dishonorable dealings.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments, Pt. 2: Stagger the Rounds
« Reply #1: September 23, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
I don't think this is a good idea. It would simply make tournaments drag on for too long. I can understand the desire to roleplay about the various results, but I can see no compelling reason to stretch them out over what would sometimes be 2-3 more days—certainly none compelling enough to put in the coding effort required.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan