Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring and History: How to Gain Influence  (Read 14141 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Use personal letters, not letters to the realm. 

As in the real world, the a well-written business letter is the path to power.

Frankly, no matter how much I like one candidate, if he makes no effort to communicate with me, and a different candidate sends me a personal message, I will be inclined to vote for the communicator. A personal message addressing my character my name and title, requesting support, asking for clarification, discussing objectives, or simply making a social call, is extremely useful.

Many players I think struggle with what to even say in such a letter. Thus, I shall offer a generic letter a new noble could send to his/her liege:

"Countess Keplerinina Lastnamia,

You have my thanks for the generous oath you have provided me, and I have acquired a unit with the revenues from my estate.
INSERT UNIT REPORT

This being accomplished, I am working in the Army of Keplerstan under Marshal Foggypants. This duty, however, leaves me some time available for other tasks. Is there any way I might be of service to you?

Sincerely,

Sir Newguy Familyname
Knight of Region A"

Establish contact. Demonstrate diligence. Ask for instructions.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner