Author Topic: Effects of Religious views  (Read 4868 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of Religious views
« Reply #15: February 01, 2014, 01:49:24 PM »
You find this a hard concept to stomach?

Pun!

Also, seriously, meat in those times meant money. What do you think causes systemic violence? 90% of the time its money. If its not meat, its land, if its not land, its gold, if its not gold, its oil.

And dead christians will buy more meat, will they?

Any source to back this up?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eirikr

« Reply #16: February 01, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »

Nonono, dead Christians become meat. Or maybe their cat does. Six and one half a dozen.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: February 01, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
This should probably be split off.

There are many (partially conflicting) versions of what exactly made the christians troublesome for Rome. A version I've heard many times is that they would not worship the Emperor (because the Bible says they shalt not have other gods, etc.)

One theory I find particularily interesting is that they were simply distasteful to the romans. Other religions could be tolerated, but christians were just... blarg... - if you listen to fundamentalist christian right extremists in the USA today, you can very much share that sentiment.

But anyways, this should probably be split off as it's derailing the main topic.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 01, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »

No, but since they're not buying meat anyway, who cares. Oh and now their christian buddies who.don't desire to become martyrs are now buying meat.

Next time I'm breaking out colored blocks to explain this, Nighthelm style.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 03, 2014, 12:22:49 AM »
No, but since they're not buying meat anyway, who cares. Oh and now their christian buddies who.don't desire to become martyrs are now buying meat.

Next time I'm breaking out colored blocks to explain this, Nighthelm style.

Yes its not a hard concept to realise, since much of our own judicial system is based upon the concept of punishment to deter others.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #20: February 04, 2014, 02:55:53 AM »

Learned this in my Pagan to Christian class in college. I'll look up the specific text when i'm not on my phone, but that is just one reason. the other reason was that some Christians showed no deference to authority (specifically governors). Since the governors of provinces ruled in the name of the emperor, not following the commands of the provincial governor (specifically in this case performing sacrifice, not even animal sacrifice but the giving of wine and incense) could and in many cases was punishable by death.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 04, 2014, 07:04:41 AM »
Let us not forget that, as with many things, there are multiple causes. Now consider the Roman empire as a diverse group of ethnicities and ideas without the instant communication structures we have today. You're bound to have varied reasons to persecute.

I've seen nothing here that is out of the ordinary for why Romans persecutd Christians except where martyrs deterred further Christians (it often inspired further Christians from admittedly biased contemporary accounts).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 04, 2014, 10:03:35 PM »
Let us not forget that, as with many things, there are multiple causes. Now consider the Roman empire as a diverse group of ethnicities and ideas without the instant communication structures we have today. You're bound to have varied reasons to persecute.

I've seen nothing here that is out of the ordinary for why Romans persecutd Christians except where martyrs deterred further Christians (it often inspired further Christians from admittedly biased contemporary accounts).

Nor is that uncommon. Often harsh oppression or punishment meant to deter simply strengthens the resolve of the group. Persecution tends to have two effects. Some will desire to distance themselves from the group to be accepted by the main stream. Others will band together for mutual support, strengthening the bonds and determination of the group as they are further isolated.

Christian martyrs would have inspired both responses, as did Jewish persecution, persecution of the Romny etc.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.