Author Topic: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life  (Read 72205 times)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The assorted bits of Aldrakar Renodin's Life
« Reply #150: January 24, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »

Jocelin

His roving hands left trails of fire in their wake.  A completely unladylike sound escaped her, small but clearly audible.  When Aldrakar broke the kiss she reeled and would have stumbled had he still not held her.  "I must be --that-- stunning."  A dumbfounded nod was the only way she could respond.

Aldrakar released her.  Jocelin missed his warmth immediately and remained close as she accompanied him to the door.  Outside the weather was growing still worse with the coming of night, and she steeled herself against the cold.  A strong wind drove flecks of icy rain sideways into them, but it'd not yet started raining in earnest.  The horses of the heavy cavalry who'd accompanied Aldrakar had lowered their heads against the wind.  Bescus was still where his rider had left him, his head unbent, a breath of irritation escaping his flared nostrils that the wind dare try to force him to submit.  He fixed his master and the woman behind him with a fierce eye.  Jocelin met it nervously.

"When I was little I wanted to be a mounted knight.  Then father's horse got a bite of my brother, and I've... do I really have to?"  She said half-jokingly, still buoyed by what had happened between them inside the building.  But already --even on a windy evening with only a handful of his men to witness it-- her public face had returned.  Jocelin trailed closely behind... though of course always kept Aldrakar between herself and Bescus.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #151: January 24, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »

A Moment's Quiet - Aldrakar

The sky overhead was dark with clouds and they in turn brought down upon the world below a steady downpour of iced rain. Wind played with the flecks and made it rattle of windows and walls alike. Aldrakar arched an eyebrow at Jocelin's admission at always wanting to be a mounted Knight when she was younger. He pulled his heavy, oak brown cape closer to his body and beckoned Bescus over with a click of his tongue. The beast turned its head instantly and moved towards Aldrakar. Steam rolling off his flanks as he moved.

He put on his gloves and gestured Jocelin to come closer. He helped her into the saddle and mounted after her. ''Two of you ride on ahead and the other ride behind. Take some distance.'' He directed the Heavy Cavalry. They saluted and rode off as instructed. Aldrakar gingerly maneuvered the reins as he allowed Jocelin some time to settle in front of him. Bescus gave no notice of the added weight, instead he shivered with anticipation. He always wanted to move. His big black eyes looking at the little gate of the Taxation office and the street that lay beyond.

Aldrakar draped his cape so that it covered both of them as a big blanket. The embroidery decorating jocelin's shoulders as they draped her. His arms over hers and his hands closed around the reins. He gave a gentle tug which brought Bescus into motion. the Muscles of the big horse working under dark skin. So they rode through the music filled night.

Arriving at the Golden Palace Aldrakar didn't want all the servants to come out again. Instead he rode right up the steps to the entrance and helped Jocelin dismount. The Palace was quiet this far into the night. It was sparingly lit and many of its hallways were silent. Guards still patrolled and some servants still preformed their duties whatever they may be of course. Bescus was led away by a stable boy, a poor word for the 20 summers or so man.

Walking through the Palace Aldrakar enjoyed the quiet, the privacy that was lost so often to him. Grinning more often than not when their eyes met. ''I'm not sure what that acolyte said but whatever it was I'm glad he did.'' They arrived at the Family wing. The sunset engraving in orange streaked marble still where it was last time they entered through it together. Aldrakar peered around just to confirm his suspicions. Both boys were fast asleep in their rooms. They were alone. ''Best be quiet, they're both asleep.'' He motioned to an area that led away from the bedrooms. A space oval in layout and seemed nestled in between other rooms. It had but the one entrance and in its center was a large sand colored fireplace. A fire burned lazily inside, casting shadows playfully around the room. It wasn't such a big place as it was lined with typical large pillows and low tables. Some pots with fragrant plants and from the ceiling several oil lamps hung. Beautiful with opaque glass-work and intricate motifs worked into the body.

Aldrakar walked to a small, build in cabinet. He opened the deep brown with soft orange engraved doors to reveal an array of small food stuffs and various little drinks. He wasn't sure if Jocelin would enter the room or not. Either way, he had the much difficult task of selecting drinks and perhaps a snack. Practicality won, he only had two hands and so decided to simply get two drinks. He selected matching, round glasses with flat, angled bottoms. He poured them both with a local vintage appellation. A very fine, sweet wine. Deep topaz in color, smelled of cinnamon, raisins and black berries perhaps and would definitively taste sweet. He added very little, finely crushed ice as to increase the flavor and then approached Jocelin, holding one glass for her that he hoped she would like.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: January 24, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »

Jocelin

Up until the moment he offered her a drink Jocelin was silent, musing as she often did.  She seemed lost in thought until the scent of blackberries and cinnamon reached her nose.  A gracious murmur accompanied her outstretched hand as she took the delicate glass and sipped it.  In the firelight she looked a mess: her clothes were dry, but her hair was wet and wind torn, almost but not quite unraveled from the intricate bun that had pinned it to the back of her head.  She'd gone straight for the fireplace when they arrived and hovered near it still, soaking in the warmth that radiated from the hearth.  Her golden gaze was almost reflective in the semi-darkness, like dragon's gold or wolf's eyes.

​"I think..." She hesitated, and drank more of the sweet wine to give herself further time to think.  A nervous smile broke across her face as she raised it, offering a cheer, "... That this is my favorite vintage yet."

Jocelin set the half-empty glass on the mantle beside her shoulder.  The sand-colored stone radiated warmth to her fingertips and palm, and she let it linger there a moment absorb its warmth.  It had been years since she left the West, and the deep winters of her childhood were forgotten after so much time in the East.  How could it be so cold, even in the heart of the castle?

"I think it's time I sent for Ljúfa."

Taking the initiative once more, Jocelin took his elbow and guided him to a cushioned seat, her drink forgotten over the importance of what she was trying to impart.  She sat first on a cushion with a large floral print, with a table by her knees and a flowering plant beside her.  Blue-white clusters gave off a crisp scent almost but not quite like apple blossoms; her sleeve brushed one, and flecks of white pollen clung to her deep blue sleeve.  The color that had risen in her cheeks after their kiss returned.  "Would you let me stay here?  Not as I have been, but..." Indefinitely?  "The boys love me; they need... I mean, I've never asked how long it's been since--" Mortification that she should bring up their mother, and then doubt.  It took only that for Jocelin to realize how little she knew about him: he'd been married before, hadn't he (surely yes, to have had two sons)?  Yet he never spoke of her, and who was that woman who was always with them anyway?  Glimpses of a caretaker with a noble bearing whose name she'd never learned were all she had to go on.  Questions seemed forthcoming from Jocelin, but she never uttered them, and only grew a deeper shade of red.  Her hands came up to cover her mouth, creating a phalanx of fingers that prevented her from saying anything more.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: January 24, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »

A Honest Conversation - Aldrakar

"I think it's time I sent for Ljúfa." Jocelin said.

She guided him to a seat and he sat down with obvious relaxation. He leaned into the pillow and knew a moment of wonder as to why she seemed so serious. Hadn't the ice been properly broken yet? He toyed with the idea as he sipped the wine, swirled it in the glass and looked at Jocelin as she seemed to prepare herself for something. Her golden hair almost that of a midnight sun and glittered with the dancing light of the fireplace.

He rolled up his sleeves and kicked off his boots, not wanting to stain the fabric of the pillows but at the same time desired to lounge. A single hand lazily holding on to the spherical glass of wine. He was smiling. Blue-White, tiny flowers were swaying gently as Jocelin moved. Did she sit up? the pillows weren't the most willing seats for that. He smirked but his expression soon turned more serious, yet soft. "Would you let me stay here?  Not as I have been, but..." Indefinitely?  "The boys love me; they need... I mean, I've never asked how long it's been since--" Her cheeks almost more ablaze than the fireplace, the red easily running down her throat.

Aldrakar inhaled deeply. Part pretending to smell the sweet wine, part the fragrance of the little blue followers but mostly to indicate he was going to saying something grave, something important. ''Yes.'' He waited a moment for her to respond and took a sip of the wine. ''Bring your Daughter.'' He motioned around with the wine glass. ''My home is yours. We know the most important things already. I've never cared for wealth or position. I love you and I know the caliber of your character.'' He shrugged as if those things were the most simple of things.

''I've always wanted a daughter.'' His eyes opened a fraction wider than usual. ''I mean, additionally!'' He chuckled but it faded and he stared into the glass. A muscle in his jaw worked. ''I wasn't there when the boys were born. I was..'' At war. Killing men. Taking lives. Aldrakar glanced at Jocelin but his gaze returned to the glass. He cleared his throat.

Before continuing a hand absentmindedly rose to his face and scratched a certain spot on his right cheekbone. ''Her name was Lucini.'' He looked at Jocelin. ''Lucini of House Talratheon. She had jade green eyes and jet black hair. Pale as virgin marble.'' A small smile lined his lips. ''She was very awkward on a personal level. Couldn't handle social situations at all. Should have seen her in her official position though.'' He moist his lips. ''She.. well..'' He took a moment to deliberately look around the room. ''She was the Lady of Giask. She was the Imperial Concilliator of Queen and later Empress Alice Arundel and also Queen and later Empress Anaris, the Ice Queen of Pian en Luries.''  Draining the last of the wine he put the spherical glass on the low table and resumed his story. ''Lucini was an iron Lady when in public but utterly insecure and awkward in private. People feared her and rightly so! She had Giask lined with gallows and other instruments of justice. She would check on every ship personally if she knew I was supposed to arrive. She was petite very much unlike you. Then again, never worry that I will compare you both. you asked, and I will tell you when you ask. Not after or before.''

Aldrakar leaned back into the huge pillow and dumped one leg haphazzardly where it would, as long as it was suspended off the ground. Arms spread wide he ran a hand through his golden hair. ''I was fighting on the Tomb Islands when she was pregnant. The monster invasion or.. some moment after it actually she gave birth. I had to learn of the event via letter. Before, it was before.'' Aldrakar sought confirmation from Jocelin by looking at her. ''She gave them their names, as I wasn't present. I was married to her by Emperor Seoras's word. It was he who declared it to the D'haran Prime Minister when they sought to marry me to Ellyn.'' He smirked at that memory. ''Anyhow, the girl you see with the boys is the daughter of a local Giaskian Noble family. They serve in my administration and the father did me a service some time ago. He asked if I would see to his eldest daughter's education and I agreed. Her name is Madelin. Quite a proper but soft hearted little thing. You'll like her, I'm sure.''

He rubbed above his right eyebrow. ''You staying here..'' and all that entails. ''My faith is that of the Bloodstars, the old, original version. You are a follower of the Bloodmoon. I don't mind as long as you don't mind.'' His face displayed some mild worry. ''It will be quite serious from the get go. You bring your daughter, she will grow up along side with my sons. In this place. Are you sure that is what you want?''

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: January 24, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »

Jocelin

"I love you and I know the caliber of your character."  Aldrakar shrugged, but her heart thudded in her ears.  She scooted closer to him, studying his face as he traveled back through the years and remembered the woman who'd given him his boys.  Even with his reassurances, no woman could ever resist comparing herself to another, and Jocelin was no exception.  But she saw not a figure she had to compete with for his affection nor a hole she had to fill, but a stranger, someone who he had loved and lost and accepted the loss of.  And for him to say he loved her... Jocelin felt a great weight lifted from her shoulders.  The fear that she was encroaching where she shouldn't...

She'd stretched out along the cushions in the opposite direction, her foot knocking the table.  At the same time Aldrakar ran a hand through his hair.  As he spoke of the war she quietly rolled onto her back and placed her head in his lap.  She listened in her usual silence, and nodded wordlessly when he looked at her for approval.  It wasn't until he got to the bit about Ellyn that her eyebrows raised in surprise.  Rynn tried to marry him and Ellyn?

"You know me," She began slowly, "If I wasn't sure, would I suggest as much?"  Jocelin was quiet, letting her words sink in.  "I finally got to meet the man I fell in love with.  And I've got him here with me, tonight, and he's telling me I can be a part of his life."  A sweet smile fell across her lips.  With a delicate touch she took his hand and guided it to her mouth, kissing the inside of his palm at the base of his thumb.  Her breath was warm up his sleeve, "Moon or Stars or Fruit, I love you, Aldrakar."

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: January 24, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »

Joy - Aldrakar

Jocelin maneuvered herself in the comfortable position where she had her head resting on his lap. Looking up she met his eyes and her ankle must certainly hurt from the encounter with the low table that was the enemy of the moment. The memories of the past slowly passed by Aldrakar's mind's eye as he described them to her. A soft pang erupted from the fireplace as a log snapped. "You know me," She began slowly, "If I wasn't sure, would I suggest as much?" Aldrakar smiled at that.

Her other words a mix that could only spell happiness and an uncertain future, the best kind. She kissed the palm of his hand  "Moon or Stars or Fruit, I love you, Aldrakar." He guided her face to his and reached down to place a tender kiss upon her lips. His eyes closed and the kiss intended to linger well beyond a fleeting moment. When he broke the kiss he kept his face close to hers, a warm and content expression reaching all the edges of his face. He blinked slowly. He kissed her again, shorter this time and leaned back as their lips parted.

Wordlessly he gathered her close to him where he leaned into the pillows. One of his arms finding its way under hers and around her waist. The other taking a longer route as it encircled her from the other side. A hand seeking to hold one of hers. From outside their little sanctuary a small sound came that soon followed Madelin's face peeking inside. She blushed and fumbled a reply. Aldrakar smiled at her and nodded for her to go and she left them again. Her footfalls nearly inaudible.

''Foxes having nothing on that girl, hearing wise.'' He squeezed Jocelin gently by a way of lending power to his words. The night grew late, the fire low and the moon was already preparing to make room for the sun of a new day. Aldrakar kissed Jocelin behind her left ear. ''Try to rest. You worked so very hard already.'' He moved to the other and did the same. ''There's plenty of time and I won't be going anywhere.'' With that he relaxed his body and enjoyed the moment as it was. Uncomplicated as it probably never again would be.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #156: January 24, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »

Jocelin

He turned her to putty in his arms, pliant in a way she'd never been before.  She curled around him, making herself comfortable as a massive yawn threatened to split her face in two.  Aldrakar took advantage of the moment to kiss her; Jocelin nipped his lower lip before giving in again.  Her throaty giggle was abruptly cut off as she realized someone had peeked in.  Jocelin's head shot up, suddenly alert like a cat caught in the cream.

"Foxes have nothing on that girl, hearing wise."  The amusement in his voice told her it could only be one person.  She let out a sigh of relief: they might not have had an opportunity to speak yet, but she'd always gotten the impression that Madelin could be discreet.  It was less ideal than having had no one walk in on them, but not by much.  At least--

Aldrakar's breath against her neck distracted the skittish noblewoman from her thoughts.  She turned her face away from him in a wordless offering, but he'd already moved to the other side.  "There's plenty of time and I won't be going anywhere."  As she was made aware again of the late hour Jocelin yawned, this kne much shorter and less jaw-popping than the first.  With those reassurances she curled up and within a minute was asleep, her face buried into the warm dip of his shoulder.  And that might have been the end of it if she hadn't been one of those types to move and mutter in her sleep.  Ten minutes passed before she shifted her weight, her right arm crossing his body so her head could rest on his stomach.  "Tell the fish I'll feed them..."

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #157: January 24, 2015, 01:44:40 PM »

Sleep - Aldrakar

The darkening room slowly turned into a shadow realm where anything was possible and where no nightmares could exist. Jocelin yawned and again. She nestled up close to him and all but rubbed her face against his shoulder as she sought the best place to rest her head.  She's so aware of everyone else but no longer of me. I suppose that's trust. And that she's had a lot to fear. Her breathing steadied. Long deep breaths before one could count to sixty. Aldrakar smiled softly and placed a careful kiss onto her hair.

He had a small start when she spoke. ''Fishes...'' the only real word he caught. He frowned, deeper still. Fisher? What is she on about? He tried to extend his arm to one of nearby pillows and build a little barrier around them. He didn't succeed and he had to suppress a chuckle as he looked upon the failure. Jocelin destroyed what he had attempted as she shifted her weight. Her arm spanning over his torso and her face resting on his stomach. Aldrakar leaned back and toyed with her hair, more like stroking it and trying to soothe her through repetitive motions. She was asleep though, or so he surmised. He liked caring though and it brought him peace.

She in turn moved more and uttered more inaudible words. Aldrakar smirked but couldn't evade sleep's reach for very long thereafter. With the fire dying down and the steady cooling driving them closer together it could only be a tangle of two bodies as they would eventually wake up.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #158: January 24, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »

Getting ready to Ride - Aldrakar

Light was spilling in from the single entrance into the oval room. The fireplace was cold but the room wasn't. It was an interior room of the family wing in the Golden Palace. That meant it had no windows either. A golden wave of light crept across the floor at a crippled snail's pace. It touched a foot, it was a bit hairy. It was Aldrakars. The golden tendrils of light pushed up and warmed his legs, body and then pricked his eyes. He had fallen asleep facing the entrance to the room where Jocelin's face was turned away from it.

Half asleep he blinked, blinked again to get something out of his eye. The light persisted, it was warm and bright. Aldrakar's eye saw deep yellow, pinkish red and crimson veins as he stared at the inside of his eyelid. He groaned softly and edged his eyes open, accepting defeat from sleep. Something heavy was laying on his arm. He tried to move a little but stopped. His eyes fells on Jocelin's sleeping form. One of her arms clutching his and with that, her entire shoulder was pinning said arm. ''Well damn.'' His voice dry. He swallowed. ''I'm trapped.'' He tried to smile but instead looked asian as his eyes weren't used to the light yet.

Moving his body and legs away Aldrakar eased his arm free and hoped the act wouldn't wake Jocelin. His hand was cold due to lack of blood and he massaged it as he leaned down to softly kiss Jocelin on the cheek, just beside and below the eye really. As feeling returned to his hand he deigned to get up from the big pillow. A final glance to check if he would disturb her and he stood up carefully. He stretched and inspected his clothes. Not too shabby. He smelled his shirt, it smelled of her.

He took a few steps towards the exit of the room and turned. Outlined against the morning gold he beheld Jocelin. He grinned and scratched his chin. The nails on his fingertips raking the developing stubble. A lock of his hair fell into his vision as Aldrakar moved to the little cabinet and retrieved a small, skinned pear in sweet liquor. He placed it on a tiny porcelain dish and put it at the edge of the fireplace. He took a moment to angle it so she should see it when he woke. She was still asleep he though after all.

Having prepared his little gift for her he departed the room and went into his own. To get dressed for the day and particularly to meet Lord Ronan at the Heavy Cavalry Menagerie. He dressed himself, no attendants or anything like that. Simple cloths really. Breeches of light brown, near cream. A loose linnen shirt of high quality and a sleeveless jacked over it of near black where it really was brown. Striped it was with gentle caramel lines  and he finished his costume with a good belt of strong leather. It was dark, the mechanism of anthracite hued steel and bore an embossing of never-ending vines that reached all the way from end to end.

Aldrakar sat down on the edge of his huge bed to put on his boots and struggled for a good while. His shoulder length golden hair not making it any easier as it fell where it would, forcing him to pause and push it all back. Having managed that feat he walked over to the armoire and retrieved a sword-belt. Taking a moment selecting a sword he went with a fluent saber with a dark ruby handle, also curved. The blade was almost leaf shaped and its gentle curve meant devastating cutting or chopping power.

Content with his attire Aldrakar checked his family ring. It was still where it was supposed to be. Around his finger and on his right hand. He moved swiftly now to the bedchambers of his sons and checked in on them. They were fast asleep. Asher had turned 180 degrees, again. Feet where his head should be and his head where his feet should be. Aldrakar II looked proper. Clutching a small green pillow like some ancient treasure he slept tranquilly. Aldrakar smiled and moved on.

Down the steps outside of the family wing and past a dozen halls and chambers. Servants bowed, greeted him and wished him well. Several Knights saluted and an old grizzled man in spartan military dress called him ''Mornin' boy!'' and Aldrakar grinned at him. A whirl of activity he passed as he arrived at the administrative heart of the Palace. Scribes and officials everywhere. They seemed to record all the happenings of the world and more. Not a duck was born without their notice, or so it seemed.

Aldrakar moved on and went down further flights of stairs. He made his way to and past training courts. Those were the ones inside the Palace. White marble, Lapis lazuli inlaid walls. Frescoes of stances and guards, and more. Mirror polished floors and vaulted ceilings. Masters teaching pupils and dozens of young men aspiring to absorb the lessons taught. Aldrakar commented on one or two but only hastily. They all smiled at him and knew him to be honest and of good cheer.

Finally, when his feet were starting to protest. He arrived at the formerly, Royal Stables. It wasn't a stable by any standard. It was magnificent, huge and lavish. A hard faced man just slightly shorter than Aldrakar greeted him with Lordship. It was the Hunt's Master. A man renowned for his knowledge of beasts and how to train them or rather, catch them.  He shared a meal with Aldrakar and informed his Lord of the latest happenings revolving local hunts the Nobility had organized and how man pheasants were caught and by whom. The same for boars and foxes. Aldrakar grunted often and devoured the meaty stew.

Feeling invigorated by the soldiers meal Aldrakar moved to the cot that held Bescus. The mighty horse wasn't there though. The Hunt's Master chuckled ''Check outside m'Lordship.'' Indeed, there he was. Bescus was receiving exercise in the pen. The Beast shone in the dawn light. His black coat and manes like the most precious sable gold. The attendants prepared the great horse for Aldrakar and soon rider and steed were off. Off to meet the Charger, the Horse Lord, The Rider of Luria, The Charge, The first and only, The deliverer of Hoofed Death. Lord Ronan The Charger, Prince of Sky Hall.

Aldrakar rode towards the Heavy Cavalry Menagerie and hoped to see his friend there. He wasn't sure at any rate but he hoped and knew his brother's heart. It lay with horse!

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: January 24, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »

Jocelin (uber rp)

Her dreams had only grown more vivid in the years since joining the Cult.  Jocelin had incredibly strong visions (disbelievers would call them hallucinations) when she imbibed the nectar of the Sacred Fruit, but even without there was an element of terrifying realism to her sleeping hours.  It was her misfortune that as morning came and Aldrakar rose and left to attend to his duties that one took hold.

The nightmare was a familiar one: she was a child again in the deep woods of Thysan, living on the family estate that she could only leave secretly, and that with her brother's help.  The old, high walls were ruined and overgrown with green moss, an outward sign of the family's low standing.  Ancient firs peeked over in all seasons, having in later generations been allowed to grow against the walls.  Against the wall that banked the Draco River and prevented its waters from rising during floods stood the funerary grove: a hundred oaks or more, each planted over a member of the family who had passed, and each bearing a plaque with that individual's name and the years they'd lived.  Those nearest the wall were the oldest, their names worn beyond recognition or long since rusted away.  Young trees stood on the edges of the grove, their plaques proudly aligned with the overgrown paths that had seen no visitors in years.  Time was that a caretaker had been dedicated to that grove; alas, the plaques no longer shined with regular cleaning, and the weeds choked the roots so that some stood dead or leaned against their fellows, dying.

The grounds nearest the ancient, outdated home of the le Drakes were clean by comparison.  A large cooking garden stood at the back of the house, maintained by a meticulous cook with a harsh tongue and ready sweets.  His two daughters took care of the spit and the baking respectively, while his son kept the kennels.  An older boy had once helped with the horses; he'd gone adventuring across the river though.  Most people considered him dead: the Zuma lands stretched endlessly beyond, and a man who didn't die on their land must surely wish that he had.

The traditional home of the le Drakes was rectangular, with an inner court kept neat and bland by the lone groundskeeper.  A dry fountain stood to one end, its marble angels clean but weather-worn.  A small pond stood on the other, unfathomably deep but empty save for a single old catfish.  Jocelin had seen it once, and her dream was of that fateful day.  The sisters from the kitchens had saved some breadcrumbs for it, and for once they'd taken her on one of their adventures around the grounds.  On a day when her mother should have been in Aveston they crowded onto the dilapidated bridge and laid on their bellies, even the noble girl in her pretty linens.  They leaned out only as far as they dared, for Erik (their brother, the boy who stunk like the dogs he cared for) had sworn it was big enough to swallow them up.  The sisters sprinkled their crumbs onto the dark surface and waited; Jocelin, who'd saved a bit of her breakfast upon hearing of this adventure, waited until the crumbs had begun to sink and disappear into the depths before she offered a larger piece.

"There it is," One of the sisters whispered, while the other whimpered in fear.  Beside them Jocelin frowned; she couldn't see it, could only see the log that surely must rest on the bottom--

The log opened a pink-lined mouth as wide as her shoulders, sucking in the offering that had begun to sink.  Without seeming to move it rose from the depths, its outline growing clearer until a catfish longer than Jocelin waited a hand's breadth below the surface.  Its great tail moved slowly from side to side, and its pumping gills revealed fleshly pink underneath.  It waited placidly beneath them, watching.  The older sister giggled nervously, "Feed it!"

Jocelin shook her head, holding the last of her breakfast roll to her chest.  The older girl looked irritated, "Do it, or you don't get to play with us no more."  Her sister sat up on her elbows and nodded solemnly.  "No more adventures!"

"No more?"  The sisters were mean to her in ways that only girls could be, but they were the closest things to friends she had outside of the brother she idolized.  And he'd been spending more and more time away from the estate.  Time was that he'd sneak her out and show her his secret spots in the woods.  Now...

The young noble steeled herself and threw another piece over the edge.  The catfish considered it for a moment and then sucked up the offering.  From somewhere nearby a throaty giggled echoed in the elongated courtyard.  "Feed it by hand."  Jocelin stiffened, clutching the last bit of bread tightly to her.  The sisters greeted the newcomer warmly, unimpeded by rank as they were in the younger girl's case.  Though the red-headed teen that sauntered from the shadows was only three years her senior she'd already begun to grow into her womanhood.  Her breasts were creamy and a touch too large for her second-hand dress, and her hips swung in such a way as to both imply a noble heritage and shun it completely.  Golden eyes marked her for a le Drake, but neither Jocelin's father nor her mother had hair so red as that.  That came from her real mother.

Jocelin's bastard sister.

"Do it."  Rue stared her little sister down, sucking the fun out of the atmosphere and replacing it with dread.  Jocelin bit her lip: if the kitchen girls could be mean, than Rue could be exceptionally cruel.  Their threats were always forgotten after a time; Rue's could remain dormant for months, and the sisters always listened to her.  In a way she was in charge, not the young noble whose birthright it was to command the people of the house.  Like the house amongst the ruins, her ancient blood meant nothing to anyone.

The catfish waited.

Jocelin dipped her hand in, opening it to show the fish the offering.  Long minutes passed in which the four girls remained absolutely still, waiting.  Not a breath was drawn as it inched closer...

"Jocelin!"

A sharp voice cut through the silence like a knife.  Across the courtyard a tall, blonde figure strode toward them, her skirts gathered in her hands.  Her mother didn't see what they were doing in the water, only that her daughter was soaking her sleeve and dirtying a dress she'd spent weeks on.  The sisters scrambled to their feet; behind her Rue cursed and slunk away, unwilling to face the woman whose wrath she feared like no other.  Jocelin also tried to stand, but a sharp pain in her hand made her cry out.  The water churned as the great fish clamped down like a vise with raspy pads and pulled, threatening to pull her over the bridge and into the dark water.  Beside her the younger sister screamed, her thudding footfalls marking her escape from the beast below.  To the older one's credit she grabbed on and tried pulling the noble girl from the catfish's grasp.  But it wasn't until her mother arrived and stomped on the thing's head with her fashionable shoes that it released her.  Together she and the kitchen girl hauled Jocelin back to the shore.

"We tried stoppin' her!  She tried to feed it, M'lady, honest!--"

Jocelin's mother slapped her, eyes blazing with fury.  It was then that the groundskeeper arrived, and the furious noblewoman thrust an accusing finger at the kitchen girl's chest.  "Take her to the kennels and beat her for making my girl do this!"  She shot a suspicious look to either side for the child she thought truly responsible, but Rue had long since learned to make herself scarce when Lady le Drake was near.  So she satisfied herself with the punishment of another in her place, and by the look the girl threw at her Jocelin knew she'd receive the blame.  She started crying, half because she was scared and hurt because of the thing in the water and half because she knew things were going to get a lot worse for her around the others.  Her mother mistook her sobs for the first alone and whispered sweet nothings into her hair.  "Shh, shh, you're safe now.  My miracle is safe."  The possessiveness in her tone spoke greatly of their relationship.  Before Jocelin had been born her mother had been thought barren.  Melot's --her older brother's-- birth had nearly killed the golden lady, which is why her husband had sought comfort in the arms of another.  Jocelin's birth had not only given them an alternative to their wandering, disinterested heir, but had erased the stain of Rue's birth and (in their eyes) repaired their marriage.  And given their crushed hopes for their son, the future of the family now rested squarely on their daughter's shoulders.

Lady Le Drake was an impatient woman.  After too short a time the gentle rocking and stroking stopped, "Really, Jocelin: you're making a scene.  Nobles do not bleat like common slobs."  Yet her daughter continued to whimper.

And here is where memory morphed into nightmare.  After the incident by the pond Jocelin had been brought to her room.  For weeks she screamed in her sleep that the monster was coming to eat her.  She avoided any body of water larger than her and eventually had to be forced to take a bath when her stink became too great.  The sisters in the kitchen had disliked her before; after the eldest's beating they would hiss under her breath when she was near and pinch and twist her skin if they could get away with it.  Rue continued to harass her like an alleycat does a domestic pet, emboldened by the other girls' obvious disdain.  Her mother, bless her heart, actually noticed and kept Jocelin by her side at all times.  That was how it had happened then: in this dream, however, her hand remained clamped inside the beast's mouth.  Its bony jaw was flat and raspy like sandpaper, scraping away her skin and clouding the water with blood.  Her shoulder strained as she fought to get free; she screamed for help, but in a nightmare no one comes.  Eventually it pulled her in and began to sink back down, unhurried and unimpeded by its struggling prey.  Her lungs burned and her body hurt with the growing weight of the water around her.  They sunk for ages into the murky darkness... and as terrified as she was it wasn't the pain or the predator alone.  It was the inevitably, the fact that no matter what she did there was no escape, and that everything would end for her in those deep, dark waters.

Her breath gave out.  Bubbles erupted around her face; icy water invaded her airways--

And then she woke up, her nose and mouth smothered by a soft cushion as she lay face down.  Jocelin scrambled into an upright sitting position, shaking and slick with terror sweat.  A whimper like a small, wounded animal escaped her, and even weak with fear she managed to drag a pillow to her chest.  She clung to it like a shipwrecked sailor to flotsam as she rode the panic to its inevitable end.  The tears that followed were welcome, for she'd woken up too many times like that not to know that they were tears of relief.

It wasn't until they'd ended that Jocelin remembered where she was and why.  Her impulse was to look for Aldrakar; it seemed, however, that he'd already woken.  Golden eyes lingered on the spot he'd occupied the night before, her expression inscrutable.

Noise in the hallway.  A servant entered with the intention of cleaning and paused on the threshold; they curtsied and mumbled a polite apology, clearly having expected the room to be empty.  Jocelin ignored her and put the pillow down, her actions fluid with practice though her limbs still shook.  There must have been some hint of her night terrors in her face still, for the maid asked if her ladyship was alright.  She was ignored until Jocelin had invented a suitable excuse.  Her chin lifted arrogantly, and her tone was lofty with an aristocrat's disdain.

"This pillow was dusty underneath; I seem to have gotten some into my eyes.  Fetch a bowl of warm water to my room and see this one is cleaned.  Thoroughly."

Affirmation.  The maid disappeared to do as she had been told.  Jocelin encountered no one in the hall of the family wing and managed to slip into her room unseen.  She washed with a towel and a steaming bowl of water and dressed for the day, every action as laborious as if she'd aged forty years.  Before she left her room Jocelin stood before a floor-length mirror and hid her face in her hands, gathering herself as she'd once caught her mother doing.  When she finally looked up again every sign of the nightmare was gone, replaced by the gentle and disciplined smile of a noblewoman bred.

She left her room at an unhurried pace, the sun outside the windows very much past the noon hour.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: January 24, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »
Flowing from that string of Rp's between Jocelin and Aldrakar other people also wrote Rp's. Very good ones really but its not my place to post them also. Besides, have to keep this thread about Aldrakar no? hehe. However. Aldrakar did go and meet his friend Ronan. A noble in Luria whom is famous for commanding cavalry units. They are good friends. Aldrakar recently opened a cavalry Training Center which boasted impressive soldiers.

Written by the Player of Ronan Maelodor

Jousting: part 1

Ronan rode to the military district of Giask. His friend Aldrakar had informed him a new heavy cavalry center was build and that he had bestowed Ronan with the honour of a statue in front of the center. It was indeed a marvelous statue and the artist did a rather good job, or at least in Ronan his opinion. He knew little of art, unless it concerns the art of battle. The statue pictured a fully armoured cavalier on a prancing horse. The head of Ronan was covered with the exact same helmet he wore in battle: the one with the eagle on it. He smiled, and slight proud, he continued to the large training ground of the recruitment center. A large host of mounted soldiers was gathering there and it looked liked they were about to begin with their morning training.

As soon as he entered, the sergeant of the center approached him:
" Lord Ronan, welcome. You honour us with your presence. You're just in time for our morning practice. Imperial Magistrate Aldrakar informed me you were interested in testing these new soldiers?"
" Thank you sergeant. You're right indeed. I could use some practice. What's up for this morning?"
"We'll be jousting, Sir Ronan. And I see you came well prepared. You just look like your statue outside!"
"I'm always ready for some action, sergeant. Better be prepared! If I can lend a jousting lance, we can start right away."

The sergeant signaled a boy who soon returned with a lance. "Wonderful, Lord Ronan. We're ready when you are."

Ronan turned Sirocco, his horse: "I hope your men are ready sergeant!" He lowered his visor and rode to the other soldiers.

"I indeed hope they are ready" the sergeant mumbled. "May he have mercy on these poor recruits".

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #161: January 24, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »
I of course engaged him and its hopefully only a start of something more. Time will tell but its a very different branch of the RP tree. I like it.

The Rendorian Heavy Chargers Training Facility

Riding down a good paved road that led away west from Giask. Not actually outside the region but it did lead to the outskirts of the city limits. It cut through low coastal hills and was dotted with dwellings and occassional inns. Good structures owned by prestigious craftsmen, merchants and lower nobility. It was a fine ride despite the cold of Lurian winter. His breath forming a white trail behind him that was lost in the bellowing white storm that fumed from Bescus, his steed. Aldrakar had opted to wear a long and heavy coat over his cloths as a means to keep the chill out but Bescus did an equal part in that. The creature was a furnace so much heat radiated from him.

There were no roadside stalls in this part of the City. Proper shops and courtyards even for the smaller houses. Lined with formal gardens and patrols of soldiers not only in armor but also fancy uniform. Behind Aldrakar there rode 2 cavalrymen, the same from yesterday but only two this time instead of the previous four. The road took them into a valley that stood well above the ocean but afforded a splendid view of the Euschean sea. A natural expanse of flatland in the hills that surrounded Giask to the east. A knowledgeable man might guess these Hills stretched all the way to Sulorte but few actually realized that.

The land was good, held few trees and the soil was firm but without many rocks or pebbles in it. Good for wineries or olive groves but in this instance, a training center for cavalry. When Aldrakar caught sight of the place he could see the enclosing wall of pristine white. It was very decorative as it was a prestigious military training center but it wasn't without function. The wall was high and thick enough to dissuade would be attackers and the gate albeit gilded was indeed made of tempered steel. The rods formed into beautiful, soft shapes that belied the struggle they would offer any that tried to force them open.

Directly behind that gate, big enough to admit 6 horsemen abreast at a time, was a meticulously tended square. From here paved and unpaved paths led to all the areas of the menagerie, one for walking and cards, the other for mounted riders. At the center of the square there was a solid and big slab of silver streaked marble. It rested on even more stone that formed steps to sit upon, rest, or actually to just raise the statue that mounted the marble. Here, at the peak stood a dark bronze statue, thrice life size, of Lord Ronan the Charger. The figure sat atop a prancing horse so detailed even his eyes, teeth and entire deck of muscles were clearly articulated. The man that was Ronan in full battle dress and even on a windless day a beholder could feel the winds of history tug at his cape and the manes of his horse.

Aldrakar smiled proudly as he saw the statue and soon after discovered that Ronan himself was nearby. A company of Heavy Cavalrymen were lined up and presented themselves to Ronan. Ready also to start their day's training. Bescus flared his nostrils as he took in the scent of lesser horses. In his mind even Pegasus's were beneath him probably. In the backdrop one could spot 4 white washed manor houses. The main one that led straight away from the gate and subsequent square were the dormitories of the cadets and also functioned as the administrative heart. A very prestigious and perhaps decadent building. It sported lavish gardens and over the top decorations to display just how exceptional it really was. You'd have to either have a rich family or very well connected friends to gain admittance there.

Off to the left of the main building was a grand stable with joined next to it several pens for breaking horses, private exercise and a small pond. About ten dozen horses could seen at any given time. Attendants and riders both lavishing care on the expensive beasts. A nursery could also be spied out, but only to those with exceptional keen eyes or prior knowledge.

On the right of the main building were a couple of classroom buildings or barracks and further still a series of workshops or perhaps indoor courts. Both for man and beast presumably. The greatest expanse from the entrance to those actual 3 sites with buildings was carefully cut grasslands. Not a single flower in them and a perfectly flat, green, uniform stretch of grass. It screamed discipline and wealth.

Ronan asked for a practice lance to borrow. He was of course obliged with much decorum. ''Going for the longer lances eh Ronan? Still got some compensating to do hmm?'' Aldrakar laughed easily and displayed his white, good teeth.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: January 27, 2015, 11:01:52 PM »
Hey there! Got an Rp for you about Asher, one of the twin sons of Aldrakar. Enjoy!

Asher and the Boot

Jumping off his horse Aldrakar landed badly. His ankle almost gave way were it not for the rigidity of the boots he was wearing. The accompanying heavy cavalrymen winced at the ill display of horsemanship or perhaps simply misfortune. Aldrakar muttered a curse under his breath, his eyebrows arched and his eyes hard. The servants came from the Palatial main entrance and took care of Bescus, his steed, and all the other details required. They left Aldrakar alone as much as they could for they sensed his dark mood.

''Da!'' Asher appeared from behind one of the scribes standing on the steps leading to the main entrance of the Golden Palace. The boy's hair was a tangle of wild strands raging like waves of a tumultuous ocean. The tip of his tongue exposed at the corner of his mouth as he made great efforts to hurry down the steps without fumbling. Aldrakar hardly noticed.

Triumphantly Asher planted his feet on the flawlessly aligned stone of the square. His chin up and like a mini general he surveyed the route best taken to reach his father. Boldly he chose the most direct approach. It led him past Bescus, a group of wary officials and dangerously close to men in armor whom could crush him with a single misstep. The soldiers tried to speak to their Lord. Something about an intruder. Asher's head spun with the speed with which the soldiers spoke to his Da. Squeezing past a kiteshield that was resting on the ground next to one of the soldiers he raised his fist to his father to show him his latest gift and discovery.

''Look Da! Iss a Soldier!'' The little man held up a copper figurine not larger than an index finger. The toy represented a man at arms in full battle dress. Sword raised and shield ready to protect the body.

Aldrakar frowned deeply and looked annoyed. He turned his face to address Asher. ''Not now Asher!'' The barb very real and the tone akin to a punch. Sound died down for Asher. He could only see his father furiously discussing with the soldiers. His father looked so huge, the soldiers so small in comparison. Aldrakar barked at them. Why da?..   Tears welled up in his eyes. One of the Soldiers took a backward step in an attempt to avoid some of Aldrakar's displeasure. He knocked Asher down to the ground.

It hurt. the reinforced boot slammed into his little tummy and forced him to double over and forced him backwards at the same time. Asher felt like puking. He tried mightily to contain himself. Tears flowed over his cheeks. He didn't make a sound. A huge clash brought sound back to his world. The soldier crashed to the ground next to him. His father's hair as radiant as a red sun at dawn. A fist raised, a knuckle bleeding.

Asher felt himself being scooped up by his father's strong hands. He hugged Aldrakar's shoulder and cried silently.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #163: January 27, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
It's not just one but two! Double Joy!

Men 'O Arms

Seeing the guard virtually stepping onto his son, the pain streaked face of Asher enraged Aldrakar. Before he knew it he had stepped forwards, balled his fist, raised it and struck the guard in the face. A blow his mind hardly registered so instinctive it had been. The guard went down with that single punch, dumbstruck, literally.

Pain welled up in his hand. Aldrakar ignored it as he reached for Asher and picked him up. The boy was crying. He collected his son on one arm and cast a devastating glance at the guard on the ground. His face a bloody mess and his nose 30 degrees off center where it used to be straight. Aldrakar turned and marched away.

As soon as Aldrakar exited the entrance square into a section of the palatial gardens did servants rush towards the stricken guard. Some started gossiping instantly but some prepared to lift the spirits of their Lord. One of those was Jalen, a young but promising administrator. Offering the guard that was struck a small compensation in the form of a few silvers. Not to make a fuss.

Aldrakar fled to a small and secluded area in the gardens. It was a small fishing dock set at the edge of a fishing pond. The inside was lavish but still cozy. He put Asher down on a sofa facing the waterfront and lit a couple of torches as to illuminate the place. Asher recovered visibly. ''I'm sorry Asher. I shouldn't have spoken so harshly to you. You were only trying to show me something.'' A faint hint of embarrassment colored Aldrakar's cheeks.

Asher instantly brightened and smiled from ear to ear. ''Thatss alright Da. I'm really strong!'' The boy flexed his arms and nothing showed that could be seen as strength except an unmistakable and unconquerable cheer. Aldrakar smiled and shook his head. ''Stronger than Giants!'' He took a seat next to Asher on the sofa. The night wind played with the flames of the torches and the room was a realm of casting shadows and mysterious shapes. ''Look..'' Asher's voice was small as he showed his father the figurine again.

Taking it from Asher and into his hand Aldrakar inspected it with great care. It was one of the toy soldiers Lord Ezra had send him for his sons. ''It's a warrior isn't it?'' Aldrakar feigned ignorance and looked at Asher. ''Yes!'' The boy exclaimed. ''T'is a Man, O'Arms!'' Aldrakar gave an appreciative and throaty noise. ''Man of Arms eh?'' He turned the figurine over and over again. ''He's only got two arms as far as I can tell. Where are his other arms?'' Asher squealed with laughter. ''Man of Arms! Like this!'' Asher pointed at the raised sword that the figurine was holding up. ''That's not an arm! That's a Sword!'' Aldrakar playfully protested.

And so father and son spend a quiet evening together. The stress of the world forgotten and there was great talk of men and their arms. Some had two, some had one and a lucky few had ten! but that is a story for another time, for Asher soon fell asleep in the arms of his father.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
From the Player of Jocelin Le Drake

A young messenger arrives for Aldrakar as he works, breathless from running.  The colors of his tunic are Barcan, the braided knot on his shoulder in the style of Moon Bay.  His fist opens to reveal a scrap of cloth crumpled into his palm, and he offers it with a bow.  "My lord," He pants, "A letter from Lady Jocelin."  It is hardly more than a note, written with a distinct sense of urgency.  The ink is smudged from having been crushed before drying.

The Stars could not be clearer tonight.  This boy will help me escape, and bring my love to my lord if we succeed.  Please wait for me, Aldrakar.  I am coming home.

The boy slumps against the door frame while Aldrakar reads, his face ashen with exertion.  He is clearly in no condition to elaborate immediately, though he could be with some rest.