Author Topic: Tax Family Wealth  (Read 7552 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Tax Family Wealth
« Topic Start: October 04, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
And not to ruin the idea with too many idea, but perhaps it would also tax the gold of family homes in a realm, not just characters too? Would be incentive for caring where your family home is located instead of letting some realm none of your active characters have influence within tax your gold. Move your home or move a character.
It would have to be done based on the location of the family home. Otherwise you'd be emptying family coffers an a ridiculous rate. Even three characters taxed at 5% each would lose you 15% of your family gold per month. (15,000 family gold taxed at 15% is 2,250 for the first month, almost 2,000 the second, etc.) Crank that up to 5 characters at 10% each, and you'd lose 50% of your family wealth per month. Taxing the entire family gold on a per-character basis simply does't work. It also just doesn't make any sense. Why would my poor character on Atamara be taxed based on the entire family's net worth, when my family home isn't even on Atamara? Is Caergoth going to send their tax ninja's to Montauban on the East Island to loot my family home?

And this is where the funneling of gold comes in. If you want to crank up your realm's incomes, you just have everyone with a family home in the realm to use their other characters to send gold home to the family. 10% of 20k is 2,000 gold a month. Get three or four people to do that, and you've got a serious ongoing income source. And as we've seen in the past, there are a lot of people willing to move family homes, and abuse family gold to an extreme level.

If this were done, and I think it's a bad idea regardless, the family gold would simply have to disappear.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.