Author Topic: Tax Family Wealth  (Read 7361 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Tax Family Wealth
« Reply #15: October 13, 2013, 02:13:30 AM »
How about allowing realms to tax inactive families with tons of gold? When those accounts disappear, all the gold they have accumulated will go with them and that is a lot of gold.

egamma

« Reply #16: October 13, 2013, 02:16:31 AM »
How about allowing realms to tax inactive families with tons of gold? When those accounts disappear, all the gold they have accumulated will go with them and that is a lot of gold.

That would encourage people to create multi accounts tied to throwaway email addresses.

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: October 13, 2013, 03:43:34 AM »
That would encourage people to create multi accounts tied to throwaway email addresses.

Make it so only people with a certain amount of gold can be taxed. Called it 'rich tax' or something and tax people with higher than 5000 gold or something.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 13, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
Make it so only people with a certain amount of gold can be taxed. Called it 'rich tax' or something and tax people with higher than 5000 gold or something.

And make sure to discount the starting amount and any auto-generating family gold.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 13, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
Personally, I don't see any particularly useful thing that this does. Really, what's the point? If family wealth such a problem that we need to institute a tax on it? If you start taxing it, then people will stop sending money home and there won't be anything left to tax. So the net result will be that nothing significant changes, and people will just have a lower family wealth. Yay? Combine that with the new gold funneling exploits this opens up, I see absolutely no redeeming qualities to this request.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #20: October 14, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »
I like the idea. I'm not sure about a blanket progressive tax on family wealth, though. I'd prefer taxation stay player controlled. Realm-wide or region-wide control would make for interesting relations.

Over my dead body. This would make family wealth a risk-free gold-transfer system. Let me repeat: Absolutely any proposal whatsoever that results in the tax ending up in realm taxes will be flat-out rejected without discussing details. Period.

If family wealth gets taxed, the taxed money will vanish. Period.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 15, 2013, 01:15:20 AM »
Over my dead body. This would make family wealth a risk-free gold-transfer system. Let me repeat: Absolutely any proposal whatsoever that results in the tax ending up in realm taxes will be flat-out rejected without discussing details. Period.

If family wealth gets taxed, the taxed money will vanish. Period.
Does everything you disagree with need to be responded with "Over my dead body" as the opener or even in it? I could be wrong but it feels like its much used a lot when responding to things you disagree without a good reason. Is not happening period, which you also basically said  is much less hostile feeling than over my dead body, which may be appropriate sometimes, but especially in more generally ideas like this, really isn't needed.

Moving on from that, I am against family wealth getting taxed period. If you feel like family wealth is detrimental to the game, get rid of it. If you feel like people being at the cap often is detrimental to the game, remove the cap or approve implementation of some things for family wealth to be used on, but taxing seems like a rather terrible way of going about that issue because it makes no sense in a realism manner, and I doubt anyone is saying that it adds fun in anyway so I fail to see the value added.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

« Reply #22: October 15, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »
I think people have already said enough on this topic. Maybe it is time for one of the devs to say 'yes' or 'no' and get this over with?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 15, 2013, 02:05:05 AM »
I think people have already said enough on this topic. Maybe it is time for one of the devs to say 'yes' or 'no' and get this over with?

Well, Indirik's against it, and I'm against it (for pretty much the same reasons), but Tom's the one who originally made the feature request, so it's pretty much up to him at this point.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: October 15, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »
I don't give a !@#$ anymore.