Author Topic: Player asking for IC information OOC  (Read 1318 times)

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
Player asking for IC information OOC
« Topic Start: November 17, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »
A certain player continues to pester the realm to discuss In-Character information Out-Of-Character. It has gotten to the point where IC interaction has mostly halted. This person does not seem to want to play In-Character; it is very frustrating. I do not want to ignore them completely, but I would like to find a way to stop the constant flood of OOC so we can get back to playing the game. Any suggestions?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Player asking for IC information OOC
« Reply #1: November 17, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »
It sounds to me like a big part of the problem is that other people in your realm are perfectly willing to ignore the separation of IC and OOC to participate in his discussion.

In such a case, I'm not sure what else you can do alone. You could try reporting this to the Magistrates or the Titans, but I'm not sure that they really have jurisdiction over this sort of thing. (However, I do think it's a grey area at best, that could do with a test case...) Unless it's on Dwilight, I suppose, in which case you could definitely report it as an SMA violation.

This is, unfortunately, one of the problems with BattleMaster: when you get a bunch of people together in one realm (especially in that realm's leadership) who have no problem with people blatantly violating the separation of IC and OOC, and no problem with participating in doing so themselves, there's really very little anyone can do about it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 17, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »
The leadership isn't a problem. The ruler even requested that this person cease this activity, but to no avail. I don't want to make a case out of it- this person's heart is in the right place, but they do not seem to understand how the separation is supposed to work. I've quoted the rules, explained the reasoning behind them, yet they persist.

Maybe there's something we can do that's not exactly a legal indictment, but rather get someone with some authority to 'counsel' this person on proper IC/OOC etiquette. I don't know- I just think it would be a shame to lose a player over this issue.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 17, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
The leadership isn't a problem. The ruler even requested that this person cease this activity, but to no avail. I don't want to make a case out of it- this person's heart is in the right place, but they do not seem to understand how the separation is supposed to work. I've quoted the rules, explained the reasoning behind them, yet they persist.

Maybe there's something we can do that's not exactly a legal indictment, but rather get someone with some authority to 'counsel' this person on proper IC/OOC etiquette. I don't know- I just think it would be a shame to lose a player over this issue.

It is a popular misconception that any report to the Titans (or Magistrates) constitutes a "legal indictment."

If you want an official statement that X, Y, or Z is considered non-kosher—either privately to you, privately to another party, or publicly to a realm—that is the approved way to do it.

If, on the other hand, what you want is not an official Word From On High (however gently phrased), but rather for someone official to sit down with this person one-on-one (virtually speaking) and explain to them how IC and OOC separation in BattleMaster is supposed to work...honestly, that sort of thing is really what the Wiki is (supposed to be) for. Failing that, I suppose you could try to encourage them to come on the forum or on IRC.

With no devs or Magistrates in the realm you're talking about (and I presume there aren't, or it wouldn't have gotten this far), I don't really think there's a way within the game itself that what you're suggesting can reasonably be done.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan