Author Topic: Mix With Locals during a Takeover  (Read 1742 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Mix With Locals during a Takeover
« Topic Start: November 29, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
Mix With Locals during a Takeover

Summary

Mixing with locals during a takeover allows you to gather intelligence on what will make the takeover succeed more quickly.

Details

During a takeover (or all the time if that's easier) mixing with a region's locals will give you pertinent information of which takeover activities will be most effective on the local population. It's my understanding takeover activities already vary in terms of which is most effective in any given situation. This would allow players to actively investigate just how to best take over a region.

The messages could be something like this:

The peasants are excited by the prospect of joining (realm) = Freedom celebrations will be most effective.
The peasants here are curious about the occupying troops = Cultural Exchange will be most effective.
One man remarks that he'd be all for (realm) if you'd just fix the infrastructure = Civil Support will be most effective.
People here love and admire the local authorities = Administrative expulsion will be most effective.
People here are currently more afraid of the local authorities then your troops = Administrative Execution will be most effective.
Many peasants claim they'd rather die then join (realm) = Brutal Oppression will be most effective.
The people seem to be united against (realm) = Random violence will be most effective.

Benefits

This feature would encourage players to use the full range of takeover tactics. Right now it seems like every takeover is either all "Freedom Celebration" or all "Brutal Oppression/Random Violence". I rarely see the other tactics get used.

The feature would also create new opportunities for adventurers since many nobles will be too notable to mix with locals.

Possible Exploits

The system would need to be balanced so multiple intelligence gathering missions are necessary in order to keep finding the most effective methods. It would make it too easy if one investigation was your ticket to a two day long takeover.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Mix With Locals during a Takeover
« Reply #1: November 30, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »
I like this idea!

Right now it seems like every takeover is either all "Freedom Celebration" or all "Brutal Oppression/Random Violence". I rarely see the other tactics get used.

That doesn't mean they're not useful. I could test this recently when I was alone performing a FTO in a rural regions for ~3 days. Civil work would add 6% to the TO tally while freedom celebration only 2%.

I don't know however if it also depends on your troops preference; I suspect it may be.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 30, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
Yep, this seems to be a quite interesting addon.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 12, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
So from a development perspective is this easy to code or is this another one for the back burner?