Author Topic: International banking system  (Read 11832 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: International banking system
« Topic Start: January 04, 2014, 01:19:35 AM »
It is an interesting idea. However, I think that guild taxes and maintenance would kill it. Any region lord could run up huge amounts of credit by depositing gold, then cranking up the regional tax rates to get it back for himself.

That would be rather risky wouldn't it? You can't just increase guild taxes so they'd be hurting their own region. Also Branch managers could be required to swear to a standard tax rate or risk being ejected from the guild.

Guildhouse maintenance would also slowly sap away your reserves, requiring people to continually put in money to maintain guildhouses, and thus generating bigger and bigger balances.

Can't the grant fee structure be set to compensate for this?

In addition, I think you'd also have a problem with the realms, if your judges start trying to enforce guild punishments at a realm level. What realm would be willing to allow that to happen? No way in hell I'd let you start banning/fining my nobles because they owe your guild money.

Well that's the fun of it. Suppose half the realm are creditors in the bank. The guild magistrate wants to impose a fine on a delinquent debtor. The ruler doesn't like that and threatens to kick out the judge if he does so. The judge explains this to the Chief banker and the banker threatens to eject every creditor in that realm from the guild and seize their accounts.

I like this idea. Perhaps there could be a role for the realms' bankers too. I'd probably sign up if you're doing this on Dwilight or Atamara.

I think the best role for bankers would be "Auditors" they could provide information to the bank and help investigate possible abuses.

I'm thinking I'll start in Atamara first. I have a character there who has a region but otherwise doesn't do much. I just need to work out some exact numbers for this.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:23:44 AM by pcw27 »