Author Topic: International banking system  (Read 12003 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: International banking system
« Reply #15: January 25, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
Even if they don't, you still face two funamental problems:

1) people never really pay their dues for any guild or religion.

Because no one bothers to make them pay. In SA I actually try to pay my dues most of the time because I've known people to get denied promotions for high debts.

2) even normal taxes that don't intentionally drain your guildhouses will drain them, and will stack up on upkeep, meaning your scheme would have to generate a lot of revenues just to compensate for that.

Yeah to the tune of like five gold a weak. A single low level debtor should take care of that.

There's also a lot of other lesser problems, like the fact that building a guildhouse doesn't influence one's balance, and such nobody is really likely to want to build them for you unless you pay for them yourself.

The "Branch manager" rank will have a grant equal to what a creditor would be getting.

You need an array of enforcement tools. If you involve the right people with enough power and influence, then I think you can find ways to effectively deal with any of the problems being mentioned. For example, you can hire infiltrators to go after delinquent account holders, set bounties, use judges, bankers, rulers, priests, etc. In extreme cases, you might resort to military force. Lords that try to exact unfair taxes may get their guild house closed down, or they may wake to find an assassin in their bed chamber, or they might have their lordship taken away by the duke. Perhaps guild members could be asked/told not to sell food or provide any assistance to lords that have been blacklisted by the bank. The key is to have a multitude of tools at your disposal and get the right people on your side.

My thoughts exactly. If the nay-sayers don't want to join I'm not gonna put a gun to their head.