Author Topic: Auto da fe  (Read 4426 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Auto da fe
« Topic Start: February 02, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »
Participated in a battle   (just in)
Your aide comes to you with an urgent message: the priest Machiavel Chénier has whipped up a mob of followers of Sanguis Astroism into a frenzy and is about to send them to attack Fulco D`Este's estate! You quickly mobilize your troops to go to Fulco D`Este's aid. Some of the militia also joined in to support their Lord. When you get there, the mob is just arriving, and you are forced to fight the maddened peasants. Your troops fight valiantly, but the fanaticism of the peasants turns the tide quickly, and you are forced to retreat with heavy casualties.

Let's put aside the fact that I'm a priest and as such have no troops, and getting a message of using my men against myself is silly... I do not get the basis for this game mechanic. Why do all nobles go against auta da fes (weak acts enough as it is)? Shouldn't the faithful stand by their priests? It's been claimed that the nobles just see a bunch of random peasants and seek to put them down, without knowledge of their allegiance. This doesn't make sense. Surely, if I was going to raise a mob against a heretic, I'd invite the faithful nobles to join me/them. They'd at least get a missive to stand out of the way.

I've always strongly disliked game mechanics like this that turn people against their allies, much like how friendly troops in a region increase the odds of an infil being sent to an enemy prison. It doesn't make any sense and it only makes weak actions even weaker.

I'm also amazed how I could raise thousands of peasants to wreak havoc against their lord, and yet the region stat damage is minimal, if there is any at all. To top it off, the duke can just re-appoint himself, with no penalties as far as I know.

I don't expect anything to change, but this just reminds me how awfully underpowered religions are.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron