Author Topic: Yet another idea for a schism mechanic  (Read 10311 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another idea for a schism mechanic
« Topic Start: February 03, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
Second, region lords with temples will have the option "Rededicate temple" which can change an existing temple to be of the new schism. Rededicating a temple will cause unrest but not as much as closing or destroying one. In addition when a temple is rededicated a random percentage of peasants will convert to the schism.

I'm not certain it's either good or important that the unrest caused be smaller than in the case of closing the temple.

In fact right now, closing a temple and building a new one is always an option, but it's not a very good one because
RP-wise, it doesn't make much sense, it's costly in gold, and most importantly if the new religion is founded far away, it may require an enormous time investment for a character who has better things to do.

The option to re-dedicate a temple would solve these issues, but if unrest is smaller than in the case of temple destruction, then you need to add many safeguards to ensure it is done only in the case of a real schism and not as a way to switch religion for cheap.

I would propose a different setup. What if Region Lords could at any time rededicate a temple of their region to any other religion, with the caveats that:

-It creates more unrest than simply destroying the temple
-It costs more gold than destroying the temple and building a new level 1 temple
-The peasants don't convert immediately (but with the new temple, they will over time)
-The temple size goes down

This nerfs the proposed mechanic a bit, but it also makes sure that people will only use this option when it makes RP sense to do so, without having to add all these safeguards to ensure it's a real schism. And in the present case of interest, I imagine many people would avail themselves of this possibility.
After all it's a roleplaying game.