Author Topic: Priest is a region lord and he cannot see his militia.  (Read 3254 times)

Nightmare

• Peasant
    • View Profile
I know that a priest cannot see military units in a region.

However, I think that it is not realistic when a priest is the local lord and he cannot see military units in his region. Furthermore, what annoys me even more is that I cannot see the militia in my region.

Can we do something about that?
Has that been discussed already?
Aroo Family

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is one of the things on my list. It's certainly senseless for Priest Lords to be unable to see the troops in their region, whether or not the restriction still makes sense generally.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
For now, a work-around that you can use is to go to "command/disband militia". It will show you what you have, but you don't need to disband anything.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is one of the things on my list. It's certainly senseless for Priest Lords to be unable to see the troops in their region, whether or not the restriction still makes sense generally.

I would add that priests being unable to see troops is ridiculous on a few other levels:

Only nobles with troops can arrest priests. Yet priests have no idea if any of the nobles in the region has troops.
Militia can resist some priest activity. Yet priests have no idea if there is any in the region.
Mobile troops can resist some priest activity. Yet priests have no idea if there are any in the region.

It's fine that they aren't meant to act as scouts, but they can be arrested by realms at war anyways.

Priests have no way of assessing the risk of any of the activities they do.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I would add that priests being unable to see troops is ridiculous on a few other levels:

Only nobles with troops can arrest priests. Yet priests have no idea if any of the nobles in the region has troops.
Militia can resist some priest activity. Yet priests have no idea if there is any in the region.
Mobile troops can resist some priest activity. Yet priests have no idea if there are any in the region.

It's fine that they aren't meant to act as scouts, but they can be arrested by realms at war anyways.

Priests have no way of assessing the risk of any of the activities they do.

They are too busy communing with their god(s) to take notice of such things.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
They are too busy communing with their god(s) to take notice of such things.

Yes, because when I lead a mob against a bunch of soldiers, I'm obviously too busy to notice such things. Or sneaking into regions to spread the faith into hostile grounds, I obviously wouldn't want to keep an eye out for troops wanting to arrest me. Too busy communing, of course, because priests all live in total seclusion in the middle of the woods with no contact with anyone else.

Hiding the CS values is one thing, making priests blind as a bat is quite another.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Yes, because when I lead a mob against a bunch of soldiers, I'm obviously too busy to notice such things. Or sneaking into regions to spread the faith into hostile grounds, I obviously wouldn't want to keep an eye out for troops wanting to arrest me. Too busy communing, of course, because priests all live in total seclusion in the middle of the woods with no contact with anyone else.

Hiding the CS values is one thing, making priests blind as a bat is quite another.

Do I really need to use sarcasm tags?

But yes, depending on the religion and the sytle you wish to follow, it would be completely feasible to say a zealot leading a mob would be too caught up in his ranting, raving etc to really have that much concept of what is happening around them. Obviously that would be forcing all priest to be of a certain stereotype though, hence my tongue in cheek comment.

Why would you think all communing with god happens in isolation and in the wildness?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Do I really need to use sarcasm tags?

But yes, depending on the religion and the sytle you wish to follow, it would be completely feasible to say a zealot leading a mob would be too caught up in his ranting, raving etc to really have that much concept of what is happening around them. Obviously that would be forcing all priest to be of a certain stereotype though, hence my tongue in cheek comment.

Why would you think all communing with god happens in isolation and in the wildness?

I heard it before, so I had no reason to assume sarcasm.

And isolation in the wilderness is about the only thing that would explain this total blindness. Even George Newbie, upon the first millisecond of arriving in vast desert for the first time, knows pretty much exactly how many troops are in the region, which units are militia and which are led by which nobles. Total seclusion is the only thing that can explain why priests can't take this millisecond that George Newbie needed to get a clear picture.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I heard it before, so I had no reason to assume sarcasm.

And isolation in the wilderness is about the only thing that would explain this total blindness. Even George Newbie, upon the first millisecond of arriving in vast desert for the first time, knows pretty much exactly how many troops are in the region, which units are militia and which are led by which nobles. Total seclusion is the only thing that can explain why priests can't take this millisecond that George Newbie needed to get a clear picture.

Have you not seen people speaking tongues or the Dervishes? In general if someone is in a religious rapture their ability to notice anything is supposed to be rather limited. Of course that assume the priest is IN a rapture.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You can see what nobles are there can't you? If you see a bunch of warriors you should assume there are troops in the region.