Author Topic: Change "New Character Protection" to "New Player Protection"  (Read 2964 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Title: Change "New Character Protection" to "New Player Protection"

Summary: Newly created characters are protected against death. Should they die, usually due to losing a death duel, they are instantly resurrected. This should be changed from "New Character" to "New Player" based on how long the player has been playing, and not how long they have been playing a particular character.

Details: To prevent new players from suffering character death before getting the hang of the game, their characters are protected against death for some period of time. (I forget how long, but at least two weeks, I think.) If they are somehow killed, they are immediately resurrected, unwounded, and it is attributed to a "miracle". This is good for new players.

Experienced players playing new characters, however, also get this bonus. This benefit is completely unnecessary for them. Recently on the newly created South Island, this has resulted in many players engaging in death duels, knowing they can't die.

Experienced players shouldn't get the protection. It can even be exploited it in some circumstances. (i.e. engaging in death duels knowing they can't die, but the other guy can.)

Possible alternate implementation: If someone can't be killed in a death duel, they should not be allowed to accept/challenge to a death duel.

Benefits: Removal of benefits from players that don't need it, and can even exploit it.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: None.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah, agreed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

You can blame this all on me :o

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
After hearing news after news of miracles and resurrections, Fen'Harel thought that the primordial energies that common folks call magic is being manipulated by demonic entities. At least it gives him more reason to destroy the Ikky Idiots and the Sand Pirates :P
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
Wait Sandalakians are Sand Pirates? Kewl  8)
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
Wait Sandalakians are Sand Pirates? Kewl  8)

How about Sand Scums? ;)
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah, agreed.
According to the recent announcement, I thought that this was implemented. The most recent turn change had another occurrence of a miracle occurring for a long-term player.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
According to the recent announcement, I thought that this was implemented. The most recent turn change had another occurrence of a miracle occurring for a long-term player.

Well, I thought it would be courteous to at least give a chance to those who had already agreed to death duels and couldn't get away in time...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Bah... You are too soft. :P