Author Topic: Further War Island Information  (Read 18739 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Further War Island Information
« Reply #45: June 15, 2014, 01:37:01 AM »
Getting rid of estates would take way too much coding. One of the reasons the old war islands were sunk was the problem of maintaining two separate code bases. If had to do that now, this would never have been possible.

rofl, is all I can say

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: June 15, 2014, 08:30:27 AM »
rofl, is all I can say
What is so funny about that?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: June 15, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
It's funny because imo, for the purpose of the War Islands, I'd prefer communism, and it can't even be changed back, because it was abandoned when the WI sanked. So it's more that the backpedalling itself is funny (not that it's bad, please continue supporting WI).

To explain, I don't like estates on WI because it creates a lot of internal conflict, which is (bleh) fine for normal islands, but tiresome when you're just looking for fun and slaughter. It also makes attacks on / fortifying with militia in a particular region drain the income of just one lord and a few knights, who are then reliant on gold handouts. This makes the game miserable for them, while everyone else (understandably) avoids the issue. It seems that having your region on the front line should be, if not a fun experience, at least well funded and important, instead of bankrupt.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: June 15, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »
The success to a well funded army is contribution of various nobles. If some aren't able to keep up the costs then the wealthy ones should help them. Communism would definitely helpful here in the currently implemented way.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: June 16, 2014, 03:02:29 AM »
I won't argue with you that communism fuels the best war machines, so far as this game goes. I agree. What I'm saying is that this requires a lot of code changes. With Tim doing all the coding by himself, separate code bases for specialty island is a luxury we can't afford right now. So you get estates on the war island, unless you want to pay Tim a full time developers salary to work on the game full time. Assuming he'd want to do that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: June 16, 2014, 03:09:45 AM »
I won't argue with you that communism fuels the best war machines, so far as this game goes. I agree. What I'm saying is that this requires a lot of code changes. With Tim doing all the coding by himself, separate code bases for specialty island is a luxury we can't afford right now. So you get estates on the war island, unless you want to pay Tim a full time developers salary to work on the game full time. Assuming he'd want to do that.

Hey, if it's a guarantee of a significant raise over my current job, to do the BM dev work I'm already doing (only moreso), I'll take it ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: June 16, 2014, 03:17:39 AM »
Why no Toren? 3 realms ensures it's always 2 gank 1. boring. Being a runt doesn't matter in battle royale.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: June 16, 2014, 03:18:16 AM »
Why no Toren? 3 realms ensures it's always 2 gank 1. boring.

Because the War Island was designed to have 3 realms on it, not 4.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: June 16, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
Is that a retcon? (I mean because obviously historical fact that WI was designed for 4)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:58:20 PM by Kai »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: June 16, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
Is that a retcon? (I mean because obviously historical fact that WI was designed for 4)

Um...no.

Are you not aware that the original South Island and the first South-East Island, at the least, had just 3 realms on them?

The four-realm South Island was a later experiment.
Timothy Collett

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: June 16, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »
Fine, 4 is still way better. Use your massive data and see how often Sandalak wins in RISK:WI.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: June 16, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
Fine, 4 is still way better. Use your massive data and see how often Sandalak wins in RISK:WI.

I don't have any "massive data," and I don't have much at all to do with the BM:WI game. That was something completely separate that Tom did on his own.

However, if you're correct that Sandalak is at a disadvantage, that's something that can—and will—be fixed by adjusting the balance of the island's layout, not by adding a fourth realm.

The three-way nature of the island is fully intentional. It means that there can never be an even two-way match until one realm is destroyed. The point of the island is not to have a permanent 2v2 standoff—it is to see who can win.
Timothy Collett

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 16, 2014, 03:36:11 PM »
That doesn't make sense because it will be a 1v1 after one realm is destroyed.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: June 16, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
That doesn't make sense because it will be a 1v1 after one realm is destroyed.

And it would be a 2v1 or 1v1v1 in the four-realm scenario after one realm was destroyed. That's not really the point here.

Besides, once one realm is destroyed, the odds are quite high that one of the other realms will have managed to take their capital, and a chunk of their other regions, thus giving them a serious advantage over their remaining foe.
Timothy Collett

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: June 16, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »
So the intended design is a gank followed by a steamroll.