Author Topic: Federation Soup  (Read 8227 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Federation Soup
« Reply #15: May 25, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
I really like the idea of GoldPanda's suggested change. It makes sense, leaves control in the player's hands and the constraint is more natural than artificial. Of course, it does nothing to keep a few large realms from federating but it makes federations consisting of many countries more difficult to form. Besides, it only makes sense that all federation members agree before new members can join. It can even create some fun situations. If A and B are federated and B wants to have C join while A opposes, B can only break the federation with A (new war!) before finally federating with C!

Of course, one could already say that all this is possible with some RP and inverse logic. RP can establish the rules for bringing in new federation members. Realms that oppose the joining of an unapproved member can all leave the federation (new war!). I just think that having the 'require approval from all members first' just seems more natural as a default.

Alternatively, a way to split federations would serve as well. I do not know the current logic beyond 'leave a federation and be at war' but the little I hear can make things challenging. From my basic understanding, the following examples detail why the current system, as I understand it, feels off. Of course, I am sure that I am missing something here...

Now:
A, B and C are federated.
C brings in D and angers A and B by doing so.
A leaves federation and is at war against B, C and D.
B leaves the federation and is at war with A, C and D.
A and B try to work the mechanics so they can return to federated status since they never wanted to separate or be at war.
C and D enjoy a favorable position.
Feels off

Approval First:
C asks to bring in D and A and B  say no.
C leaves federation and is at war against A and B.
C and D federate.
Feels natural

Splits:
C brings in D and angers A and B by doing so.
A and B split off into a new federation. A and B are now at war with C and D.
Feels natural