Author Topic: in game misogyny?  (Read 22274 times)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: in game misogyny?
« Reply #30: May 30, 2014, 05:24:31 AM »
You have to be consistent, though. Sexism/racism should be played as a character flaw. If you aren't willing to demean your character more than the group he's demeaning, then you are being a dick. Be a villain that curls his mustache or be the egalitarian white-knight...but don't be the one who uses BM as a soap-box for real life hang-ups. Roleplaying games are for escaping real life hangups.

True that it is a escape a small short one during my lunch break and just before I leave for work...

Like I said error on the side of caution if you get out of hand their is a check and that's when you'll be notified to change. You have to choices play as you are or change. I personally believe you should play as you always have until that check (lighting bolt) strikes. However, remember that your character represents you family and well one family members actions can/will reflect how some see their other family members.

Note* so far SI has not to my knowledge been determined a SMA island so I believe its all up for grabs. Plus once Ikalak wins it will reset I assume and we will do it all over.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Eirikr

« Reply #31: May 30, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »
I think some of us here have missed a nuance here:

BM is not medieval Europe. It is a medieval fantasy world. So no, misogyny or prejudice of any kind are not inherent to the atmosphere. It's entirely possible Earth could have gone through a medieval era with a female dominated societal system or even a neutral system. We're not missing that element (as we've come so close to saying a few times here), it's that few willingly create it. I don't believe SMA means throwing those prejudices in, it means keeping the obviously OOC stuff out.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #32: May 30, 2014, 07:37:04 AM »
I love how most of the moralistic GUYS here are arguing against it, despite the fact that several GIRLS have already stated they were fine with it as long as it is clear it is IC. Dear lord, some people are just silly.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 30, 2014, 07:42:30 AM »
!@#$ it! Let's just turn this into HOLDHANDSANDDRAWRAINBOWSMASTER.

Be mean! Be nasty! Its a game where we play fictional characters, who may or may not express fictional hate against other fictional characters. If interesting and dynamic roleplay and character development come of it, go for it. If it causes battle, it is good.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 30, 2014, 07:50:15 AM »
Just because my character does everything to prevent women get a position of power, I'm labelled a misogynist. He's not going on shouting that all women are whores, they don't deserve to live, etc etc. If trying to prevent others from gaining power is not perfectly IC then I don't know what is.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 30, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
As another female gamer, a character that hates women that has an obvious and well defined RP basis doesn't bother me. What I do find slightly bothersome is all the casual boasting in Sandalak at the moment about how many peasants everyone is going to rape and kill and how many bastards they are going to father.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 31, 2014, 01:13:45 AM »
As another female gamer, a character that hates women that has an obvious and well defined RP basis doesn't bother me. What I do find slightly bothersome is all the casual boasting in Sandalak at the moment about how many peasants everyone is going to rape and kill and how many bastards they are going to father.

Don't worry, The moment the beginner protection fades, all of this "buffoons" will be cleaned... in a total IC way, of course.  :P

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 31, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »

You never played in Old Sandalak did you? :P

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #38: May 31, 2014, 06:19:08 AM »
Just because my character does everything to prevent women get a position of power, I'm labelled a misogynist. He's not going on shouting that all women are whores, they don't deserve to live, etc etc. If trying to prevent others from gaining power is not perfectly IC then I don't know what is.

To be fair this stuff should be handled IC as long as it doesn't go too far or is just a poor excuse for someone being a total dick. But Cren, that is pretty sexist, borderline misogynistic.

!@#$ it! Let's just turn this into HOLDHANDSANDDRAWRAINBOWSMASTER.

I actually like that idea.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 31, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »
You never played in Old Sandalak did you? :P

::) ;)
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #40: May 31, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »
To be fair this stuff should be handled IC as long as it doesn't go too far or is just a poor excuse for someone being a total dick. But Cren, that is pretty sexist, borderline misogynistic.

And I will once again point out that several women who play this game have stated they see no problem in having misogynist characters.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #41: June 01, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
And I will once again point out that several women who play this game have stated they see no problem in having misogynist characters.
You misread my post then if you feel the need to say that again. That and it isn't the case that there shouldn't be misogynistic or sexist characters in the game, it is that Cren seemed to imply that it wasn't so bad because he wasn't calling for the death/rape of all women, just their exclusion from a hierarchy of power. Yes he may have been saying that he personally is not a misogynist, but he was using a very poor example to illustrate that.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 01, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »
Your point being?

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: June 01, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
Mysogynist characters are no problem imo. People should be able to see it's a character and not be offended by it.

Weylyn

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: June 01, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
This.

In short, if I were the Ruler of that realm I would tell him to stop, and give him an OOC ban if he didn't. I would encourage all players in an OOC manner to put him on ignore and not interact with him. Let the Titans do what they want to me if they disagree.

As I said before, there are 50,000 different role plays you could do to the same effect, but without risk of real-life offense to people in the game. You've been told this isn't cool by many people here, so show some consideration.

Really? An OOC ban eh?

If that came up to the Titans, you can bet your ass that you'd be stripped of your position. You don't get to use OOC tools against people that aren't breaking any rules.

As for the post that you were replying to, I don't know what kind of gamers you people hang out with. I've been active on the internet for over a decade, and while women gamers are the exception I wouldn't consider them a pariah group either. In my experience, men are generally more than happy to have a girl in the group. Quite often, they end up being "one of the guys" as much as the men.

That's the key though. The warm reception changes fast when people expect the group to change to accomodate them. That, however, does not exclusively apply to women either.

I will restate my position on this, no rules were broken. People are free to RP whatever they wish, and no one has a right to never be offended. To anyone who indicated that they would use OOC enforcement tools in cases like this, consider this a warning. OOC harassment is not cool, even if you don't agree with someone's RP.