Author Topic: Unique items - Add/subtract from skills  (Read 14526 times)

Jens Namtrah

Unique items - Add/subtract from skills
« Topic Start: July 03, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »
Don't know if this has ever been considered, and perhaps it's late to add now, but seems like all Unique items are for prestige or leadership bonuses.

Any thoughts on having things help your other skills? Might make them more than just oddities to RP about

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Unique items - Add/subtract from skills
« Reply #1: July 03, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
That's not true. Although bonus abilities are rare they do exist.

e.g. http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Astonishing_Aegis_of_the_Dragonslayer
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 03, 2014, 08:16:16 PM »
Unique items that provide a bonus to skills do exist albeit are quite rare.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Eirikr

« Reply #4: July 03, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
Furthermore, an item without an ability may have one added to it by a lucky adventurer. It's just very hard and very uncommon to get the offer from a sage while also holding the right ingredients.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #5: July 04, 2014, 01:27:42 AM »
Nice! Knew it was a good idea ;-)

That list is nice - seems like there's a whole new avenue for RPing.

Has "steal a unique item" been considered as an infil activity?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 04, 2014, 01:35:54 AM »
Has "steal a unique item" been considered as an infil activity?

No, but it is a Judge ability.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #7: July 04, 2014, 02:06:38 AM »
Yes, that one I knew.

Might be something to consider (maybe I should rework this or make a new thread) for a new infil ability - Steal Unique Item.

Seems fitting, and now you could hire infils to go steal something you want - makes them much more a part of the nobles' game, rather than just a device to promote interaction between advies and nobles

Think it warrants its own thread?

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #8: July 04, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Yes, that one I knew.

Might be something to consider (maybe I should rework this or make a new thread) for a new infil ability - Steal Unique Item.

Seems fitting, and now you could hire infils to go steal something you want - makes them much more a part of the nobles' game, rather than just a device to promote interaction between advies and nobles

Think it warrants its own thread?

Infils are kinda unfun right now and I don't think the devs are interested in changing that right now tbh.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 04, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »
Infils are kinda unfun right now and I don't think the devs are interested in changing that right now tbh.

The devs are always interested in making things fun.

I have several ideas, both general and specific, for improving infiltrators. I just can't do everything at once.

What, specifically, about infiltrators is unfun to you right now?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 04, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
This idea of stealing unique items is really great. Opens up new scopes of RPing at the very least! :)
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #11: July 05, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »
The devs are always interested in making things fun.

I have several ideas, both general and specific, for improving infiltrators. I just can't do everything at once.

What, specifically, about infiltrators is unfun to you right now?

I'll get to that when I have some proper time to write.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: July 06, 2014, 12:05:02 AM »
Training... Endless training is the unfun part for infiltrators. too much time investment until you become good enough to actually do something.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 06, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
Training... Endless training is the unfun part for infiltrators. too much time investment until you become good enough to actually do something.

That, I know about, and plan to change by introducing a variety of low-risk, low-reward options for training infiltrators (that still actually have some impact on the game).
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: July 06, 2014, 12:21:18 AM »
Also it is hard to just stay as infiltrator as well due to honour and prestige loss. Eventually your honour and prestige fall too low for you to even stay as a noble. You become an outlaw and if you get caught you are out.

It would be nice to have something to replace honour and prestige for infiltrator.