Author Topic: Archers in combat  (Read 8031 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Archers in combat
« Reply #15: May 31, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
The problem is that "Aggressive/Defensive" is an encounter setting, not a in-combat order. It is supposed to determine when your men engage in a fight, and not what they do once they are in a fight. It is being overloaded to also provide some control over actual in-combat behavior. The result being that it doesn't work perfectly in that case. When there are no walls (which alson includes not being dug-in) then all the encounter settings pretty much act the exact same. When there are fortifications, then the defenders settings control how long they will sit behind their walls before charging out to meet the enemy in battle.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 31, 2011, 03:44:05 PM »
When there are no walls (which alson includes not being dug-in) then all the encounter settings pretty much act the exact same.

I think cavalry in defensive sometimes waits a bit before running towards the enemy, depending on where the enemy is. I think. Or maybe it must be dug in, I don't know. But I recall seeing several times horses even in the open waiting a couple turns before running forward.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 31, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »
Dug-in cavalry, or cavalry behind walls, on either Normal or Defensive will wait before charging. If they are not dug in or behind walls, they will begin the charge straight-off on the first round.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 01, 2011, 03:30:40 AM »
I also like it when my men are firing on the enemy while they are stationary behind walls and after two rounds of firing at the infantry they move forward for better shots.  There is also the case of when no one is in range but are almost there so they move forward and they fire the next round, where as if they just stood in place for 1 round they could fire the next round instead they are an extra line closer together.

I love the fact that there is something in the works to fix archers, well done guys.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 01, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
would dug in archers move closer to get better shots? i know my ranged sf did it XD

does dug in only count in the 1st round?
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 01, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
The length of time that "dug-in" status lasts is dependent on the unit's encounter settings. IIRC, Murderous and Aggressive cause a unit to immediately leave dug-in status. Normal lasts for two rounds, and defensive for four. This also applies to units behind formal fortifications, with some modifications, though.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 01, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »
... mine was defensive ranged sf.. and it moved forward in the 2nd round after shooting in 1st
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 02, 2011, 12:32:44 AM »
... mine was defensive ranged sf.. and it moved forward in the 2nd round after shooting in 1st

Ranged SF are always MI I think, so in that case all bets are off for what they will do.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.