Author Topic: Ease buying regions a little  (Read 18450 times)

Jens Namtrah

Re: Ease buying regions a little
« Reply #15: June 01, 2011, 03:02:36 PM »
Battlemaster is supposed to be a team game. It is *designed* so that you can only accomplish truly significant things by working with other players. Personally that's part of what I love about it. Besides, if you go off on your own, who are you roleplaying with? Yourself? Don't you think that in the course of convincing your realm to back your colony, persuading other nobles to come with you, and organizing the necessary resources that you've just created ten times the roleplaying opportunities than if you just wander off by yourself to play Dungeon Siege in Balance's Retreat or wherever? I say that if you want to play King of your own little kingdom without any input from other players, then you might as well play Medieval: Total War or some other single player strategy game.

You're not playing in a vacuum. You're simply following your own path and trying a few things on your own.

Too often "Battlemaster is supposed to be a team game" really means "Battlemaster has a few leaders and you are expected to follow them"

A person can create a meaningful roleplay in a realm without always being a follower on a team. If you wander off somewhere and start a new realm, as this thread is about, you don't block that event out from everyone and everything around you.

The realm exists to everyone. Your success or failure exists to everyone. The stories your character tells about his efforts become a part of the Battlemaster story. A stone dropping into a pond isn't only about the stone and the little patch of mud it lands on.

The thing I have always disliked about this game is the number of people who seem to feel that anything that is outside of their own personal interpretation of how the game was meant to be played is some sort of threat and must be suppressed. There are rules and game mechanics simply to prevent or discourage people from have freedom to act out their characters in their own style. There are players who will intentionally jump into the middle of other player's roleplays and trash them simply because they don't "fit in".

I don't see any reason why a place like Dwilight can't stand a little loosening up such as DC suggested, if it will make for greater roleplay and player fun opportunities