Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring and History: How to Be a Lord  (Read 8703 times)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I see -- so harsh courts are for control, then, and not loyalty.

Exactly, but use harsh courts only when really necessary since the peasants don't like them very much.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Harsh Courts - raise control, lower loyalty and morale
Just Courts - raise loyalty (only with a sufficient base loyalty)
Mercy Courts - raise morale, lower control (only with sufficient base loyalty)

These are the basics, if anyone wants to elaborate, feel free to do so.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Harsh courts can raise loyalty, actually, it's pretty random.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

songqu88@gmail.com

Just courts have a variable effect on morale as well. For these options, it seems like there is one primary variable that has a predictable result, which would be the raised variable that Foundation mentioned. Of the two remaining, the court options generally affect one negatively and one variably. Just courts are probably the exception.

Mercy: Raise morale, Lower control, Variable loyalty(?)
Just: Raise loyalty, Variable morale, Unaffected control (??)
Harsh: Raise control, Lower morale, Variable loyalty

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Harsh courts can raise loyalty, actually, it's pretty random.

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen consecutive harsh courts raise net loyalty, only lower it...
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure I haven't seen consecutive harsh courts raise net loyalty, only lower it...

Maybe not consecutive. But I know the limited deployment of harsh courts can cause a loyalty boost. I've done it many a time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Maybe not consecutive. But I know the limited deployment of harsh courts can cause a loyalty boost. I've done it many a time.

I don't disagree that harsh courts may increase loyalty occasionally.  I'm pointing out that in general, it does not raise loyalty consistently (you can get on the good side of randomness once, even a few times, but not regularly).

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
If you dig through the d-list archive you'll find Tom commenting about how harsh courts do make people more loyal sometimes, other times disloyal.  The rational was fear can inspire loyalty as much as hate.