Author Topic: Priest Game Issues?  (Read 27845 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Priest Game Issues?
« Reply #30: September 06, 2014, 12:54:34 AM »
That really doesn't make any sense.

Or if it does, that means they aren't even trying to be programmers, just "game makers",  so forget the whole thing.

But I certainly hope they are trying to do the best they can.

Every hour they spend fixing bugs is an hour they can't spend making some new feature. If you fix the same bug 5 times, that's 5 hours you could have been building something cool, but instead you wasted.

In addition, when you write code in a testable design, it makes all of your code easier to work with and to modify - meaning that the next time you want to add a cool feature, it takes half as long to do.

Furthermore, if you are writing good class-based code, you can get other devs to volunteer just to make small modules for you - they don't need to have access to your db, or you entire codebase, in order to create the back-end logic for a new feature. So, you can get MORE volunteers who are afraid to make a large commitment but would be happy to give you a few hours from time to time.

THIS IS WHY "I don't have time" is such a horrible argument.

Then why don't you join the dev team to make it better? It isn't like closed off to a small clique. Anyone can join. You should probably do that and try to make it efficient?

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #31: September 06, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »
Did you read where I already offered to help, once I'm sure I'm not wasting my time?

Did you read the part where I explained that no one has to "join the dev team" to help with code, if they adopt this system?

You don't need to defend them. I'm doing this to help them, because it is a hard first step and often requires a firm push from the outside. I'm not the bad guy.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 06, 2014, 04:24:52 AM »
Anaris has already offered to bring you on and see what you can do to help. At this point, the only thing you could say that could be of any use is "sure, I'd be willing to lend a hand". Anything else is just you posturing for the crowd and stroking your ego.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #33: September 06, 2014, 06:26:46 AM »
Either way, I'm doing with this topic.

That didn't last long. Putting you on ignore now.

Mods who worry about the atmosphere on  the forums - please take note of the personal attacks.

Ravier Nebehn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 06, 2014, 06:35:35 AM »
I see no personal attacks. What I am seeing is more of a "put your money where your mouth is" statement.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #35: September 06, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »
Ok, let me spell it out even more clearly than the 4 times I've already spelled it out:

When Anaris says,

"Yes - I am willing to work with you and other experienced devs to start using modern methods such as composer, unit testing, class-based code, etc and will be open to taking advice about how to refactor the code base, instead of putting up a wall of objections"

then I will volunteer some of my time and work to recruit other experienced devs to help with the site.

If he only wants people to sit and add more band-aids on top of this rickety old legacy code, then I have no interest (and I doubt any other experienced devs do either)

There's an unlimited number of Open Source projects we can and do contribute to. We don't have the energy to work on something where half the team is just breaking our code & arguing with us all the time.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #36: September 06, 2014, 07:11:33 AM »
(and back in the game - at least 2 cases this turn of food being sold in the market, and no bonds received. something that used to work was broken by a later change. so now Anaris will have to stop working on the new War Package and spend time tracking that down instead.

Precisely what we should be trying to stop with Testing. )

Thehatter

« Reply #37: September 25, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
I will offer my assistance to your noble cause.

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 25, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
AND NOW....

My priest is moving per turn, as apposed to per hour.

Is this a new change or a bug?

AC

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 25, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »
Priests on long distance travel will arrive on a turn change.

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 25, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
Okay. I didn't realize that change was coming.

Is this part of a bigger overhaul we should know about or just a tweak?

Thanks!

AC

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 25, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »
This isn't a change. Its always been like that. Any travel that takes more than 16 hours goes like this:

1. You have a chance to arrive immediately, using all of your hours.
2. If not, you use all 16 hours, then proceed at one IG hour per RL hour.
3. When you are one hour away, you start accumulating hours again, but do not arrive yet.
4. At the next turn change you arrive, with whatever hours you have accumulated so far.

kamandi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 26, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
Cool, good to know!

I've been playing a priest for a while recently, and played a couple ages ago, and have never encountered that particular travel method, believe it or not.

Thanks!

Alex

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 26, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
I've experienced this recently, but my experience differed, very slightly, from Indirik's explanation. I will try to duplicate this, to be sure, on my return trip.

The difference was that if the travel time was marginally more than 16 hours (say 18 hours), you would still move to the region immediately. If it was much more than 16 hours, it did was Indirik explained.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: September 26, 2014, 11:48:47 AM »
The difference was that if the travel time was marginally more than 16 hours (say 18 hours), you would still move to the region immediately. If it was much more than 16 hours, it did was Indirik explained.

Was there a "you find the route shorter than expected" message?
After all it's a roleplaying game.