Author Topic: Bans  (Read 2263 times)

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Bans
« Topic Start: September 10, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
I was wondering, why, if someone betrays your realm by breaking their oath and switching allegiance it is so easy for them to get away with it? After they are gone from your realm you can't ban them unless you catch them again and only then if you catch them doing something illegal. Maybe it would help promote team play and the realm mentality if you can get banned after switching realms, not for infinitely long afterwards but maybe the judge gets a chance for 2 or 3 days after someone leaves their realm to ban them in the same manner as you can ban everyone who is still in your realm. Has anyone thought about that before?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Bans
« Reply #1: September 10, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »
You used to get autobanned when swapping realms. Common practice was for judges to remove the ban rather quickly.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

« Reply #2: September 11, 2014, 01:03:52 AM »
You say "used to"... What was the rationale for changing it? It's trivial for a judge to remove the ban, but impossible for them to impose it once the noble has left unless they get captured. Wouldn't we want to default to making the harder of the two automatic?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 11, 2014, 01:06:40 AM »
You say "used to"... What was the rationale for changing it? It's trivial for a judge to remove the ban, but impossible for them to impose it once the noble has left unless they get captured. Wouldn't we want to default to making the harder of the two automatic?

It was first changed when we moved to duchy-based region allegiance, with the rationale that a Lord's allegiance to his Duke is a feudal matter, and therefore something unquestionable by the realm.

Personally, I'm not entirely happy with this rationale myself, but it's clear that that's what Tom wants. However, I think that reintroducing the auto-ban for regions that actually join enemy realms during time of war is reasonable.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #4: September 11, 2014, 02:39:21 AM »
I totally misread the issue; I thought we were just talking about any noble jumping ship, not specifically region lords. Luckily my logic still holds and we're on the same page! Now that's what I call a miracle!

Would it be possible to specify enemy realms? I guess you'd just check for the "At War" status when the switch is made?