Author Topic: How long can you hide at sea  (Read 4570 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
How long can you hide at sea
« Topic Start: October 01, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »
With the current mechanics how long can a noble hide at sea? Supposing that they have no unit to feed is there any limit? This could be a rather frustrating exploit if abused.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: How long can you hide at sea
« Reply #1: October 01, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
I'm not sure what the problem with it is. A noble at sea cannot actually do anything, and is not immune from banishment.

If someone wants to "exploit" this to run away from retribution by his realm's enemies, he's mainly just going to bore himself.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 01, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
Also, if you try to go at sea while rogue, you'll be forced upon the realm selection page as if released from prison.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 01, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »
I'm not sure what the problem with it is. A noble at sea cannot actually do anything, and is not immune from banishment.

If someone wants to "exploit" this to run away from retribution by his realm's enemies, he's mainly just going to bore himself.

Lets say hypothetically their hiding at sea allows them to basically troll a lot of other players.

Also, if you try to go at sea while rogue, you'll be forced upon the realm selection page as if released from prison.

You mean they wont let you embark? What if you're already at sea when you go rogue?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 01, 2014, 10:08:32 PM »
If they are abusing game mechanics, report it to the Titans. If their actions are not ooc abusive handle it IC.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 01, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
Lets say hypothetically their hiding at sea allows them to basically troll a lot of other players.

So...either you mean that they're in the same realm, and sending loads of messages to the players in the realm (in which case they can be banned), or you mean that they're trolling people outside their realm simply by being inaccessible—in which case they could do the same thing simply by pausing.

Neither of these is a real problem.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 01, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »
So...either you mean that they're in the same realm, and sending loads of messages to the players in the realm (in which case they can be banned), or you mean that they're trolling people outside their realm simply by being inaccessible—in which case they could do the same thing simply by pausing.

Neither of these is a real problem.

I was thinking trolling a religion that way. If they're a priest they can't be kicked out.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 01, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
I was thinking trolling a religion that way. If they're a priest they can't be kicked out.

I don't see how that's different from trolling a religion while hiding in a realm that's friendly to them.
Timothy Collett

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 01, 2014, 10:47:54 PM »
I don't see how that's different from trolling a religion while hiding in a realm that's friendly to them.

Ok, forget hypotheticals. Alaster is trying to no avail to take over SA again. He shares the top ranks so he can't rule with impunity so everyone opposes him. He's now banned from multiple realms and the rest say they'll ban him if he tries to seek asylum there.

I'm concerned his last resort will be taking to the seas.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 01, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm concerned his last resort will be taking to the seas.

As was just pointed out, if he's rogue, he loses the seas as a hidey-hole. So all you have to do is have his current realm banish him, and in 3 turns, he has to pick a new one.
Timothy Collett

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 01, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »
Ah, good.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 01, 2014, 11:12:19 PM »
Out of curiosity, what happens if you're banned from all realms, and you get to the page where you have to pick a new one?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 01, 2014, 11:30:36 PM »
Out of curiosity, what happens if you're banned from all realms, and you get to the page where you have to pick a new one?

I don't think it has any code to handle that yet.

I'd probably give the guy a medal, then force-deport him ;D
Timothy Collett

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 02, 2014, 12:22:12 AM »
Its a race to see if the medal is named after Jonsu or Alaster! Who will earn this coveted award for garnering the hate of an entire continent? Tune in next week to find out!
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 02, 2014, 12:49:10 AM »
I don't think it has any code to handle that yet.

I'd probably give the guy a medal, then force-deport him ;D

Feels like they should be exposed to death, though. If one doesn't want his character to die, there is ample time to emigrate before managing to get all realms of the continent to ban you.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron