Author Topic: Maybe Cheating Should be Encouraged?  (Read 7340 times)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe Cheating Should be Encouraged?
« Reply #15: April 24, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »
Cause we have NEVER seen cases of Multi cheats smart enough, and with enough time on their hands, to generate significant message traffic and RP's from their other accounts in order to hide the reality , cough cough Aurvandil. Sure not most multies do, but then most multies are also found relatively quickly because they aren't covering their tracks with such activity (among other things).

But as to the case, he was not accused of being a Multi by the Titans or Dev team at the time if I recall correctly (I played in Fontan at the time and well recall the overly aggressive nature of the character). His conduct in other matters was called into question, and his arrogance was such that he raged quit at the audacity of anyone to call his actions into question.

I remember that the founder's English was not all too good,where that of others was still fine, which also has me in doubts about these accusations. I don't really know the situation of Aurvandil so can't really comment there. Anyway it's been a long while since then. I remember he was accused of something else, not cheating but being rude or something, and ragequite. I honestly don't recall him returning, but I prob stopped playing by then.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 27, 2015, 12:38:51 AM »
De-Legro, I'm pretty sure that Aurvandil was a clan that heavily used exploits, not multicheaters.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 27, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »
De-Legro, I'm pretty sure that Aurvandil was a clan that heavily used exploits, not multicheaters.

There are entire threads dedicated to the case. I'm not going to rehash everything here.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 27, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »
There are entire threads dedicated to the case. I'm not going to rehash everything here.

Didn't say I was going to.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 27, 2015, 01:31:25 AM »
Didn't say I was going to.

I'm saying the fact there was a multi-cheat in the realm is well established. A rarity is that it was of such a nature that it was openly discussed. Most Multi cheats are shut down without any such open discussion.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 29, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »

You are probably thinking of Thulsoma, which was considered by some as a kind of precursor to Aurvandil. They were not the same people, however, nor the same problem. Thulsoma was cracked down upon for their abusing of newbie family wealth issues, namely, while Aurvandil was for multicheating.

Aurvandil was openly talked about because of how obvious it was to every nation facing them, combined with the lengths the person went through to cover his tracks from Devs being able to prove the cheating and act on it. It was a realm that grew huge from nothing, with poor regions but perfect management and mobility, in a time where no one else achieved anything remotely close to that.

The guy spent endless time, however, dealing with everyone and himself, in all places he had tentacles. He namely used his own characters in another realm to justify a war with them.

That was not the first time such a thing happened. Just on Dwi, there was a realm that collasped when a multicheater quit (wasn't even caught). Aquilera or something? Same thing happened to Irombrozia on BT (same guy I think), who also had control in another realm of that continent. I had dealt a lot with his accounts on BT, and never suspected a thing.

Point is, there's no way to know how prevalent cheating is, or what forms it tends to take. We only hear about those who get caught, or those who admit to it. And while the checks might have improved with time, there was a number of people who only admited to it once they tired and quit, so there might have been a lot of others who just never got caught and never told anyone. Some of the cheaters we know of had armies of silent drones. Other cheaters we know of had armies of interactive drones or even characters that occasionally went against each other. But one could hardly use the known cheaters to extrapolate on how the unknown ones behaved.

The whole idea is kind of absurd, though. If having multiple families was deemed to be beneficial, then the proposition should be "let's change the rules so players can play multiple families", not "let's promote cheating!". While still pretty unlikely to result in any change, it'd at least merit consideration.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: May 10, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
We will never encourage, support or allow cheating.

However, the rules of the game are not god-given and set in stone for all eternity. If you think specific rules could be revisited and it would make the game better, open a topic about that. Maybe multiple accounts are not so bad, or clans not so evil, etc.