Author Topic: Melee Formations  (Read 6599 times)

Eirikr

Re: Melee Formations
« Topic Start: January 06, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »
Fair enough. There's also the question of whether or not these stats have caps, which I would assume they don't since fortifications are always a large defensive bonus. If we assume a flat bonus structure again for a moment, you're now faced with supreme defense and normal attack in a neutral formation or maybe normal defense and better-than-average attack (there's no way to say, but I don't think the wedge attack bonus is as strong as the fortification bonus). I also say maybe because wedge formation is supposed to give a big hit to defense.

Another thing I just thought of - can you break through lines if you don't advance? That is, if set to defensive settings that would take advantage of fortifications in the first place, would the breakthrough effect even happen?

We could also go the more realistic example route and point out that the tactics at the time would make a defensive wedge formation pretty silly, though an inverted wedge I believe was used to turn a few battles (think of a cup used to catch the opposing forces and surround them).

I know this is becoming an overly deep analysis of wedge specifically, but it's also kinda the least understood one.