Author Topic: Melee Formations  (Read 6580 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Melee Formations
« Reply #15: January 08, 2015, 08:03:16 AM »
My experience with wedge has been more dead guys on both sides. :P

Well worded!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 08, 2015, 12:52:10 PM »
My experience with wedge has been more dead guys on both sides. :P

Which is what you want against monsters, because they retreat early. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 10, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »
Depending on the level of the fortification, the reduction in defence once boosted by the fortification could well be offset by the damage bonus. It would largely depend on the situation, the opposing forces etc. The problem with any statement like this is really the extent of the bonus and penalties is not known. Is it percentage based? If so it would affect low armour units more then high armour units. A unit with 90% weapon and 30% armour may well see a significant increase in its attack, but a much lower decrease in its armour. Conversely if it is a fixed penalty, high armour units might not see much of an effect to the reduction at all. I much prefer to make selections based on what is logical to my character based on the situation they are faced with.

I don't think it's a good idea to overlook the fact that there is an actual numbers simulated war game you know, and not just MessageMaster with random battles.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 10, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
I don't think it's a good idea to overlook the fact that there is an actual numbers simulated war game you know, and not just MessageMaster with random battles.

I don't. Simply there is a middle ground between complete optimisation based upon the algorithms, and completly being lead by RP. As I have access to the code this is something I am acutely aware of, as I have access to far more information to use in optimisations if I took that route, hardly a even playing field. In the perfect reality the numbers game should match the obvious RP anyway, though I doubt that is currently the case in many situations. BM has always been designed with the idea that numbers, algorithms and spreadsheets should not dominate the game. The problem I think with formations is that an so much is unknown that it is difficult to make any sort of informed choice.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.