Author Topic: Character Classes  (Read 10576 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Character Classes
« Topic Start: January 07, 2015, 04:54:03 AM »
May as well have a combat and a non-combat class that each have their own subclasses. The non-combat subclasses make one able to recruit too few men to be worth much as a troop leader, while the (non-hero) combat subclasses don't add anything to non-combat classes, or even hinder them by preventing some kinds of activities like police work or civil work.

Priest/hero is actually a good combo, as it grants most of the hero's perks without any of the risk, namely an option to escape prison which is much more handy in the hands of a priest than of a troop leader. It doesn't feel like this was really intended behavior, though.

Diplomats add something in the terms of a means to affect loyalty, though we've played for years without that without apparent issue. Seems like all sympathy stats reset to "worshipful" anyways, at least on Dwilight... They don't have as much use since we shifted away from the new treaty systems, however. Laud/praise could easily be merged back into courtiers, though. Trader hardly adds anything, and isn't available to priests.

Cavaliers... are just gamey. Their sole purpose seems to be to create these monstrosities that have a million honor points. I don't like the class, it really doesn't add anything substantial to the game.

Infiltrators were once useful, most would agree they no longer are (even if I know some will disagree with me). If at least they could move with the army and do normal troop leader stuff, they'd be useful and have real plausible deniability, but they can't recruit many men and doing stuff with peers nearby increases the odds of being captured by your own realm mates and sent off to enemy jail.  I don't like the class anymore, and I don't think it adds anything to the game as they currently are.

And priests... well... I've played so many priests for so long, and still have one... but I don't like the class either. A class that's intentionally broken in order to be an "RP class" is worthless, as nothing of the other classes prevents the character from being RPed just as much.

It'd be simpler to just have two base classes, and then an "elite" subclass (hero for warriors and ambassador for courtiers).

Also, I've always had the impression that the inability to do civil work or police work was supposed to be some perk, as it would give the character an excuse to rush to the front instead of staying behind to repair up regions, but with the dwindling player base, I've found it more frustrating than anything when I had those subclasses because I couldn't even fix up my own regions properly.

When we come to the sub-classes I would suggest that the limits on troops be re-examined. I accept that there is a case for them commanding less men, but I think in most cases the penalties are far too harsh and simply make the class unattractive given what the focus of the game is supposed to be.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.