Author Topic: New Looting option: steal food  (Read 4420 times)

egamma

New Looting option: steal food
« Topic Start: June 13, 2011, 06:15:18 AM »
As a trader, I would sure like the option to steal food, rather than loot it. Why shouldn't my men be able to 'persuade' the peasants near the village food warehouse to load some of that food on my caravans, rather than burning the food?

This could either be a trader-only option, or open to anyone with available caravan space.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: New Looting option: steal food
« Reply #1: June 13, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
You can steal food.  The option requires having at least one caravan, and should appear any time you have the option to burn food.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 13, 2011, 06:51:50 AM »
You can steal food.  The option requires having at least one caravan, and should appear any time you have the option to burn food.

Indeed, it's called something along the lines of "Steal from the warehouses". As a general, I've used that option extensively to great effect in Enweil's wars against the South-Eastern peninsula.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: June 13, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
Also, since he mentioned he's a trader, traders already have the special trader-specific option of "stealing food". It's called the black market. Risky, but hey, you're stealing food.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 13, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
No, black market is not stealing. It's buying, but not on the official market.

It might be interesting to have a special looting option for traders, but I'm not sure it's really all that useful. If you had a few soldiers with you, you could use the normal looting option to steal food.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: June 13, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
Oh, yeah, I'm sure that would work if you tried that in the real world. (It's sarcasm, by the way.)

I'm not a lawyer here, but I believe the act of black market trading would be analogously classified under grand larceny, aka "serious stealing".

Actually, now that I think about it, it could be classified as something else that has to do with subverting the proper system of commerce. I have no idea though, since there would be no time I'd ever be involved in trading anything anyway.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:15:35 PM by Artemesia »

egamma

« Reply #6: June 13, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:57:32 PM by egamma »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 13, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
I'm not a lawyer here, but I believe the act of black market trading would be analogously classified under grand larceny, aka "serious stealing".
"Buying" requires money, even if the venue through which you do it is not the official market. No money? No food.

"Stealing" implies that you don't have to pay for it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 14, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »
"Buying" requires money, even if the venue through which you do it is not the official market. No money? No food.

"Stealing" implies that you don't have to pay for it.

Blackmarket food has already been stolen by someone else, you are simply purchasing stolen goods, which in this modern age is an offence :) But yes the noble in question is not actually "stealing"
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 14, 2011, 03:35:25 AM »
Blackmarket food has already been stolen by someone else, you are simply purchasing stolen goods, which in this modern age is an offence :) But yes the noble in question is not actually "stealing"

It's an offense in BM, too, as you can be banned if you get caught black market trading.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 14, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »

Stealing is relative. Some of the farmers might think they can make more bucks on the black market than on the official one that has taxes and tithes and all that crap. Black market doesn't mean the good being sold was stolen from someone else, it just means the transaction evades normal regulations.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: June 16, 2011, 03:12:40 AM »
It's an offense in BM, too, as you can be banned if you get caught black market trading.

What exactly does that look like. I've never seen any such ban on character histories that were due to black market.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 16, 2011, 03:27:07 AM »
What exactly does that look like. I've never seen any such ban on character histories that were due to black market.

Selenay of Arcaea was banned for Black Market work. Her ban reads the same as any infilitrator.

2010-11-11      Selenay      Banned from Greater Aenilia by Rekhyt. Reason: Captured as a lowly saboteur
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.