Author Topic: Player Controlled Monster Invasions  (Read 1768 times)

The Red Foliot

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Player Controlled Monster Invasions
« Topic Start: April 23, 2015, 03:20:27 AM »
So up until recently monster invasions were conducted by a few select players from the community, who I will call mods. These stopped happening because the mods said they were too much work and they didn't get enough thanks for the effort they put in. The players didn't always like them, many saw the invasions as being unfair, partially because they didn't affect every realm equally and partially because the invasion forces often couldn't be beaten conventionally, instead requiring some McGuffin device.

What if instead of instead of having mods lead invasions, you had regular players lead them? Regular players not already playing on Beluaterra could create a daimon character there, those daimon characters would be tasked with causing trouble for the humans. They would have separate mechanics from regular characters and would have to rely on their organisational skills and mechanics to make the most of limited resources at their disposal. This would mean that they could be defeated through conventional means.

Now here's the kicker: what if you didn't limit daimon invasions to Beluaterra, but allowed invasions wherever there was too much peace. Atamara, for instance. This could be a sub-game like adventuring, but for busting up hegemonies and gigantic realms.

I think that for Beluaterra this would be very fitting, not as a tool for busting hegemonies (that continent still has interesting politics), but for continuing the tradition of invasions, as it would circumvent the issues that past invasions kept running into. As for busting hegemonies, that I will admit is a wild suggestion but I think it could be worth a try. The trend of this game is for realms to grow big, very big, but for the overall number of realms to decrease, and this invasion mechanic could be a way of intermittently resetting this trend.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Player Controlled Monster Invasions
« Reply #1: April 23, 2015, 03:28:03 AM »
So up until recently monster invasions were conducted by a few select players from the community, who I will call mods. These stopped happening because the mods said they were too much work and they didn't get enough thanks for the effort they put in. The players didn't always like them, many saw the invasions as being unfair, partially because they didn't affect every realm equally and partially because the invasion forces often couldn't be beaten conventionally, instead requiring some McGuffin device.

It was mostly because of the work involved. There just aren't enough available dev hours to run an invasion, however it was viewed.

What if instead of instead of having mods lead invasions, you had regular players lead them? Regular players not already playing on Beluaterra could create a daimon character there, those daimon characters would be tasked with causing trouble for the humans. They would have separate mechanics from regular characters and would have to rely on their organisational skills and mechanics to make the most of limited resources at their disposal. This would mean that they could be defeated through conventional means.

There are a variety of very good reasons not to do this. Starting with the propensity of players to use such abilities to carry out personal or family vendettas.

Now here's the kicker: what if you didn't limit daimon invasions to Beluaterra, but allowed invasions wherever there was too much peace. Atamara, for instance. This could be a sub-game like adventuring, but for busting up hegemonies and gigantic realms.

Nope. Invasions are for Beluaterra, and to a lesser extent, Dwilight.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan