Author Topic: Limiting unjustified diplomatic actions  (Read 11685 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting unjustified diplomatic actions
« Topic Start: June 08, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
But GA betrayed the alliance to begin with, disregarding Cathay's sovereignty by moving armed troops across Cathay land for the express purpose of attacking OW, which Cathay explicitly denied to them. (GA seems to make it a habit to ignore territorial sovereignty, and go wherever they want, whenever they want.)

that is matter of personal opinion that would fit much better to i-c grievances. my opinion is, for instance, that cathay betrayed alliance as they had obligation to help against annoying third parties, and they completely rejected to provide it.

Mrh? No RP justification? Arcaea's involvement in the war did not start because of Cathay/GA troubles. It was because of GA's attack on OW, which violated a treaty to which GA and Arcaea were party. If GA didn't know that attacking OW would would result in a swift, and strong, reprisal from Arcaea, then they were the only ones. (and I'm pretty certain that GA knew /exactly/ what they were doing.) This is one of the things I counted on when provoking the OW/GA war. The GA/Cathay troubles didn't develop until much later.
What? That makes no sense at all.

having different opinion about i-c issues should be natural way of developing conflicts, and devs would not have to make efforts how to adjust too-much-peace code. unfortunately, there is tendency to align opinions both ic and ooc, which eventually leads to ... g-b wars.

"Listen up, men! We're going to war with Greater Aenilia. Now, I now they're camped right there in the other end of that clearing. And I know that they know that we're going to be going to war with them, and I know that they know that we know they know. But unfortunately I can't let you attack. Not until sunrise two days hence. Until then, we must just sit here and hurl insults at each other until then. Sorry, but that's the rules."

well, yes, that is my idea. i truly do not understand why slow paced war in slow paced game should revolve about first, quick/commando, attacks. and they are not just sitting there, they are preparing themselves, train, scout, develop plans, while tension increases.

Quick diplomatic changes are already strictly limited. Going from Alliance to War requires no less than two full turn changes to pass. This means that your former ally has at least 24 hours notice. And that's assuming that the ruler lowering relations is hovering to click the buttons exactly at turn change. More likely you'll probably get a good 36 hours notice, if not more.

which means thoughts about that already exist...

GA did not get gang-banged. They screwed up. Badly. They had every opportunity to avoid this war. They walked right into it, with eyes wide open. (Or screwed tightly shut in denial. Whatever.)
If you wait until the enemy is marching before you prepare for war, you deserve to lose.

they "screwed" in way most of them did since i've been playing - they tried to create some drama and thrill and are in danger to be gang-banged by idyllically friendly "peace-lovers", medieval hippies, whose common agenda is one single - they jointed to deal with trouble makers, those who create hostilities. once peaceful gang-bangers prevail, eternal peace is guaranteed.

just to note, i did not initiate this thread having any particular continent in mind.