Author Topic: Targeting nobles in battle  (Read 4336 times)

Fuchs

• Knight
    • View Profile
Targeting nobles in battle
« Topic Start: December 06, 2015, 10:00:01 PM »
Title: ^

Summary: Have the ability or a list of nobles that you are personally enemy's with so that if you meet them on the field of battle you will be more likely to attack them. If they are in range of your troops and not on the other side of the battlefield.

Benefits : example is if you were tortured by an enemy judge, you would want to attack them over any other noble. Also a noble left your realm and became your enemy.

Exploited: people may all decide to to attack one noble but to counter this they should have to break their combat formation and suffer a penality.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:18:20 AM by Fuchs »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting nobles in battle
« Reply #1: December 07, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »
Not necessarily a bad idea. Would possibly have some combat effectiveness penalties for that noble due to leading the armies formation. Not unrealistic, either. Nobles have banners, so their own men can see them, and so can their enemies. So I would think that if you saw a specific banner, you could possibly send your men after it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 07, 2015, 04:52:16 AM »
I do definitely want to add more flexibility and functionality to battles. It's a tricky thing to do, because there's no interactivity in battles, so I'm not quite sure how best to do it yet, but this is among the types of things I'd like to add...someday.

Not soon, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 09, 2015, 05:56:31 AM »
Not necessarily a bad idea. Would possibly have some combat effectiveness penalties for that noble due to leading the armies formation. Not unrealistic, either. Nobles have banners, so their own men can see them, and so can their enemies. So I would think that if you saw a specific banner, you could possibly send your men after it.

And one can imagine in the case of say, the King being caught in a small battle with one or two other knights on his side, the enemy army is probably going to try to capture or wound that king rather then worry about those knights.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 15, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
I like this idea as well. But yeah possible exploits need to be taken care of. If everyone starts targeting generals, marshals,..
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: December 15, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »
Why not add something like 'overcrowing' effect if too many people target one person? Too many people trying to attack one unit will probably cause this. And make them do less damage to other units they hit if they try to focus one unit?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 15, 2015, 07:40:35 PM »
I think the solution to that is actually simpler.

If you're attempting to target someone in particular, you're going to be much less effective while you're fighting your way over to them. Too many people with a particular target in mind, and your army is going to get massacred.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: December 15, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »
I think the solution to that is actually simpler.

If you're attempting to target someone in particular, you're going to be much less effective while you're fighting your way over to them. Too many people with a particular target in mind, and your army is going to get massacred.

Unless the target is in the front line. If enemies are smart they will put all of their important members at the back.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 15, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »
Unless the target is in the front line. If enemies are smart they will put all of their important members at the back.

Just because they're in the front line doesn't mean everyone who wants to target them automatically gets to. Battles are chaotic things, and, as has been noted already, 6 nobles' units can't all occupy the same space.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: December 15, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
Just because they're in the front line doesn't mean everyone who wants to target them automatically gets to. Battles are chaotic things, and, as has been noted already, 6 nobles' units can't all occupy the same space.

Good point. I am guessing if this feature does get approved it will probably happen much later when you start working on WIP again? :D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 15, 2015, 08:05:40 PM »
Good point. I am guessing if this feature does get approved it will probably happen much later when you start working on WIP again? :D

Yes; this is the kind of thing that would either be put in when I rewrite the combat script, or would be made vastly easier by that rewrite being done first.
Timothy Collett

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 16, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
Yes; this is the kind of thing that would either be put in when I rewrite the combat script, or would be made vastly easier by that rewrite being done first.

So 3 to 5 year plan?  ;D
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: December 16, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
So 3 to 5 year plan?  ;D

Don't poke where it hurts Wimpie!