Author Topic: Character Background Customization  (Read 1623 times)

Zakilevo

Character Background Customization
« Topic Start: January 24, 2016, 02:25:49 AM »
Title: Character Background Customization
Summary: When creating a character, ask few questions to determine skill levels on top of the current age based system.

ex) As a child you often
a) played your sword (+1~3% swordfighting)
b) wrote diaries and poems (+1~3% bureaucracy)
c) played war games with other children (+1~3% leadership)
d) read books about famous people and their inspiring speeches (+1~3% oratory)

Or if possible, make these choices determine the future skill gain chance of your character. If your character practiced with his sword as a child, then make it easier for him to gain sword/joust skills when he practices. Same goes for other choices.

On top of that maybe adding an option to choose which faith to start with might be nice.

Benefits: I think this gives a bit more flavor when you are creating a character and may help people with new players who does not know much about the game decide which path they want to choose.

Possible Downsides or Exploits: More coding. Might not be as interesting as I think it is.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Character Background Customization
« Reply #1: January 24, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
I prefer actual ingame actions determining skill gain and dislike the potential for this to be a min/maxing powergamey feature, no matter how minor.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 24, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
Kind of sounds more like a"pick your bonus" exercise. I suppose that given enough questions, it could be interesting, if the actual bonus wasn't explicitly provided.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: January 24, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Kind of sounds more like a"pick your bonus" exercise. I suppose that given enough questions, it could be interesting, if the actual bonus wasn't explicitly provided.

obviously bonuses should be hidden and questions should become more ambiguous so you know a bit about what you are choosing but don't know exactly what kind of bonuses you are getting.