Author Topic: Unit Terrain Modifier  (Read 7668 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Unit Terrain Modifier
« Reply #15: June 21, 2011, 05:09:02 AM »
Cavalry hate to fight dismounted, and typically do so poorly.

I suppose that since all of our battlefields are "wide open", with no tents/carts/huts in the way, that Cavalry might as well be allowed to charge.

French knights often fought dismounted, I'm sure knights of other nations did so as well.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 21, 2011, 05:46:57 AM »
All I see for all these changes is a lot of time spent coding, potential for a lot of bugs, likely poor balancing, and all this for very little gameplay improvement.

Would this really make things more fun, or would this just make avoidance a more common tactic whenver marshals see that certain regions are not fit for their unit types, so it'd be better for them to retreat and perhaps fight elsewhere.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #17: June 21, 2011, 06:58:40 AM »
French knights often fought dismounted

Yes, especially after having their horses shot out from under them by Welsh longbowmen.  ;D

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #18: June 21, 2011, 01:35:48 PM »
All I see for all these changes is a lot of time spent coding, potential for a lot of bugs, likely poor balancing, and all this for very little gameplay improvement.

Would this really make things more fun, or would this just make avoidance a more common tactic whenver marshals see that certain regions are not fit for their unit types, so it'd be better for them to retreat and perhaps fight elsewhere.

Most likely if a realm is smart enough to appoint good marshals who can micro terrain and movements, then there would be a lot more moving around instead of actual battles. Timing would be a lot more important, and that might, but would not necessarily, lead to more pressure on people to be prompt in reacting to orders.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 21, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
Most likely if a realm is smart enough to appoint good marshals who can micro terrain and movements, then there would be a lot more moving around instead of actual battles. Timing would be a lot more important, and that might, but would not necessarily, lead to more pressure on people to be prompt in reacting to orders.

You mean add even more pressure to what is supposed to be a lightweight game?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #20: June 21, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Possibly, but with people who are already obsessed about taking over the realm or infusing chaos for chaos' sake or...whatever for whatever's sake, I'm pretty sure BM had long ago ceased to be a lightweight game, at least for anyone in the least bit interested in advancing to game mechanic positions.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 21, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
I can't see anything like this being added to the game. The combat system is intentionally abstracted away. As Chenier says, this would be an extensive coding effort for what would be very little return.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #22: June 22, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »
I can't see anything like this being added to the game. The combat system is intentionally abstracted away. As Chenier says, this would be an extensive coding effort for what would be very little return.

Agreed, not to mention the combat code is horrendous to begin with.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.