Author Topic: Looting reform  (Read 6689 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Looting reform
« Reply #15: July 08, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
At least we'd have *lots* of opportunity to start new characters from the horrendous infant and child mortality!

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 08, 2016, 05:06:59 PM »
Lol, but the main point does remain. I think at this point the peasant mobs after looting are either too strong or arrive too early. In Oberndorf they came on the first turn after like 4, or 5 people had looted or so and it was 2k right from the get go to fight. For Oligarch this was doable, for many of the smaller realms this makes looting impossible.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 08, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »
There is some randomness involved on when they are provoked, so you cannot extrapolate based off experience with one region.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 08, 2016, 06:12:25 PM »
i agree that games are games. however i believe that both balance and realism can be served simultaneously.

peasants making looting impossible for smaller realms takes away just about the only way for small realms to wage war without relying on a larger ally.

they can't siege, their tos will probably be easily broken because they will take so long, the only thing they can do for the most part is hit and run attacks and raids, but they cant even do that effectively.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 09, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »
There is some randomness involved on when they are provoked, so you cannot extrapolate based off experience with one region.

I saw the same thing happen when we went to Swordfell and have seen it happen before and before in Oligarch as well. Basically what Jdodger says, it takes away what possibilities small realms have really and that's said, cause that's forcing realms to become bigger and bigger, or leads to the bleeding of smaller realms, especially when they reach a 10 noble mark or so. Then they have little options left and then they'll remain to be '!@#$ed' because of it.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Licinius

• Knight
  • Rise so high, in mud you lie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 09, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
Smaller realms only have 2 options in war against a bigger realm.
1) Battle with the bigger realm's army and get crushed.
2) Fortify their capital and get everyone to remain there in hopes of outlasting the war.

If the looting reform is passed through, it opens up a myriad of options for smaller realms to take.
By being able to Loot the regions of bigger realms, it may ensure all form of fuel(Gold) is stopped from entering the war machine thus it becomes a cat and mice game whereas the bigger realm tries to catch the smaller realm while the smaller realm flee.

Slowly the war comes to a close as the larger realm is unable to upkeep it's army due to lack of gold. Lots of things can happen during this time, perhaps smaller realm is able to stand against a diminished army.

That's how it plays out in my mind, of course it may not go that way but it is a possibility.

Hic Sunt Leones,

Rise so high, in mud you lie.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 09, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »
yep unfortunately strong peasant mobs are a major advantage to larger realms for more than one reason. i think weve covered how they reduce smaller realms' ability to be meaningful in war pretty well. the other thing is that larger realms will usually have more distance to cover to fight off attacks on their borders, meaning they get more benefit from peasant mobs as "first responder" defending units.

we saw the full extent of this advantage in the end of the southern league war on dwi, where lurian peasants would just stomp enemy realms' armies as soon as they tried to loot.

and i have seen way too many cases lately where one looting attempt or a very small number of attempts causes an immediate peasant mob spawn. it may be random, but the thresholds are so low its practically guaranteed it'll happen.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Zakilevo

« Reply #22: July 09, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
Not sure when it will happen but Anaris' WIP will help small realms greatly. Let's hope it will happen soon so small realms with good generals/marshals have a chance against big realms.