Author Topic: Is there a "dirty lifestyle" flag on some characters?  (Read 4233 times)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Just wondered, as I can't remember the last time Stegman got wounded that he didn't get infected and stay serious for three days.

Is there a secret algorithm based on amount of whoring, refusal to wash, quantity of daily bacteria-laden cheese eaten, etc that helps determine this?

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
no

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
you sound very certain

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
you sound very certain

Yes. How would you determine any of those things without those things actually being in the game as a mechanic?

Besides, it's determined by age, which is a combination of previous wounds, torturing, and age of character.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
There could be an algorithm that searches messages for references of those things and increments a "dirty lifestlye" counter

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
There could be an algorithm that searches messages for references of those things and increments a "dirty lifestlye" counter

That is a rather amusing notion, but no, not in the slightest possible. For one, how does it know to differentiate RP involving the person and RP speaking of NPCs or other players? The way you describe it is rather naive in how coding works.

Unless you can write code that both translates entire sentences and can take them into context, it's useless for that function.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Hmmm....I think you can pull in a grammar check library that could so a good job of detecting the subject "I" and a list of questionable verbs.

Or perhaps a regex that matches "I" + a max number of characters before one of the above verbs? So that:

"I love whoring" would be found, but not "I love to preach about the evils of whoring"

Could code work that way? 

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Hmmm....I think you can pull in a grammar check library that could so a good job of detecting the subject "I" and a list of questionable verbs.

Or perhaps a regex that matches "I" + a max number of characters before one of the above verbs? So that:

"I love whoring" would be found, but not "I love to preach about the evils of whoring"

Could code work that way?

Doubt it. Not without a dedicated professional coding team. Even then, you're talking Microsoft/IBM/Google level stuff. The issue is that human speech is incredibly complex. Besides, it's not a good idea anyways. People only expect their messages to have roleplay significance, any mechanic consequences are from other people's actions in relation to the letters/roleplays. So you're throwing that out the window for some ill-thought out obscure mechanic of little meaning that no one understands and is overly complex for what you're trying to do. Just drop it please.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Okay, it's time to confess this whole thread was only a joke. I was never asking for anything, only commenting on the correlation between Stegman's lifestyle and his propensity for getting infections. ;-)

Sorry - thought it was a bit more obvious than it seems to have been.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Okay, it's time to confess this whole thread was only a joke. I was never asking for anything, only commenting on the correlation between Stegman's lifestyle and his propensity for getting infections. ;-)

In theory you could actually implement the "never uses soap to clean himself' as a counter, but yeah it was obvious enough. Although you had me doubt a bit when you started to answer so seemingly serious :p
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
glad you caught on - was up to "maybe I'll bang out a LaTeX parser for it this weekend", and I really don't have time for that.  ;)

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile

It was pretty obvious.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Considering I've no clue what family Stegman is, there was no way I could even draw any connection to that.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I can't imagine not knowing what family he is in obscured the ridiculousness  of every one of the posts  ::)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I can't imagine not knowing what family he is in obscured the ridiculousness  of every one of the posts  ::)

Considering I never had even heard of the character himself until he pulled the retarded stunt with the city (and proceeded to post actual youtube links in IC chat, have fun with that), you aren't nearly as well known as you think you are. At least the Kuriga family has some sort of infamy of being traitorous bastards I'm having a hard time comprehending. Must be Zhukov pulling overtime or something. Or something Gudhlek did, I can't exactly remember where I had him or why he immigrated to Oligarch.