Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 135399 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Reply #15: June 20, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
I would say that benevolence from the top is pretty important as it is difficult to make bank as a knight. (in 3 months of daily playing I've accumulated no surplus gold on either character - I'm dependent on the army sponsor for gold every single time I refit and haven't had any extra to spend on training or anything else)
I'll start this comment out by saying that I do like the new oath system. It is pretty flexible, and allows individual knights to be rewarded for their loyalty and service. The ability to give out good marks to favored knights, and black marks for screwing up, and even the potential to protect knights from punishment and dissolve oaths out from under troublemakers, all great stuff. Good additions to the game, overall.

However, bluexmas' comment does outline the major failing of the oath system: Distributing the gold in an equitable manner to the knights of a realm. I don't care how "realistic" this system might be, it makes things difficult and problematic for new players. It allows experienced, or callous and uncaring, lords to pray on new players, to the ultimate detriment of the overall game. Some regions also don't have the gold potential to pay knights a decent income. I was lord of a region that made 230 gold, and required three knights for full estate coverage. Not exactly a lavish income for any of them. Of course that assumes you can actually find three people to be your knight.

People hate asking for gold to meet the recruiting requirements outlines by generals and marshals. Especially if they have to continually ask for gold each and every week, or after every battle. Kind of makes them feel like they're failing. And it's a pain in the ass. And then you have to wait. And maybe you won't get enough gold, or any gold at all. And some people just don't ever ask. And the people with the gold have to stay in a city to pass it out. But maybe they aren't in a city, so the request never gets filled. And then everybody gets mad at everyone because stuff's not getting done, etc., etc.

I'm not saying that we need to return to the old ways of tax distribution. But it does make me wonder if there is any kind of happy blend of the two, that can allow for some efficiency in getting gold out to those who need it, while still allowing for the good stuff that the new system brings. Allowing lords to do whatever they want is good for the lords. It supports the favoritism and political maneuvering aspect of things quite well. Except that it is not a very friendly game mechanic for newer players. It puts all the power into the hands of the lords, who can just say "10%, take it or leave it". And the new players are supposed to know that 10% of a rural is a bad oath?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.