Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 135616 times)

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Reply #150: June 30, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
I agree with the above, but I also see where a hard turn toward this type of play could result in a fancier version of the War Islands, which isn't what I signed up for.  Overall, though, this would go a long way toward easing problems of expansion, promotion, and retention.

It use to be quite common to fight over border regions, TO'ing them.  Wars tended to be fought until one Realm was utterly absorbed into another.   Evenly fought wars tended to have a few regions switch back and forth until some peace (or allies were threatned to come in) could be negotiated.   That led to simmering hostilities, where Realms would war, peace for a while (and hate each other), then find an excuse to go back to war (aka:  Nighthelm and Soliferum, we must've warred a half dozen times until half the island marched on Nighthelm.).   Best part was our wars rarely changed our borders (or would only change one region) so we always wanted to go back at them a little while later.    There are some serious benefits to having an enemy or two on your border . . .