Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 135635 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Reply #210: July 20, 2011, 03:38:38 AM »
1. Easy enough to do. For some reason a lot are too lazy even for this.

2. Not as easy as #1, though enough opportunities present themselves. Though more often than not the new player doesn't take advantage of this, so you shrug and leave him be.

3. Haha...yeah...sure. Maybe like 5 people in the entire game who actually want to do that with pure intentions. (Hint: I'm not one of them. If anyone actually listens to me, it will be in order to further my own goals, whatever they might be.)

#2 isn't so hard. Even if you just pull some random "reconnaissance" mission out of your butt and send a new player out into the wilds with a bunch of scouts. A sense of purpose, a mission, these things help get new players connected. I personally plan to give a newbie-initiation mission soon of "delivering funds." I will get the new player to join a guild, send 100 gold, then deploy/him her to some mid-distance location with orders to deposit the funds at a guildhouse. This gets the character in a guild, teaches the player about guildhouses, ensures my guild is properly funded, teaches about travel, and gets involvement and the sense of a mission fulfilled.

#3... I didn't say with pure intentions. I fully expect that my generosity with new players will be repaid. It has in the past: my character in Terran is quite politically powerful, partly because he actively recruits new nobles to his following. Generosity with political ramifications may be even better for retention.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner