Author Topic: Rejected: Civic Expansion  (Read 1628 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Rejected: Civic Expansion
« Topic Start: April 27, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
Summary: Improve your region
Details:
  • With this change, I envision regional lords being able to invest in their regions in order to improve stats like food production, peasant population or revenue per capita. I don’t think this would require significant change to existing code, I imagine it could be done simply by adding new buildings like farms, villages, or windmills. To avoid abuse, we can tack on prohibitive costs, include a damage meter like fortifications have, or set a cap on how many Improvement buildings can be added to a region
Benefits:
  • Players are always looking for personal goals, one of which is leaving their mark on a game. It feels good to carve your initials on to something, and it feels better to really be able to dictate changes in your region. Players who are not city lords don’t really have much to do, I think this would improve their game a lot. I also believe that it will add a new, vibrant layer of interaction and overall-realm management.
Possible Downsides or Exploits: 
  • Now I do realize that Changing of region types (including building or destroying cities) has been mentioned and shot down before. I get that and the reasons for it. I can also see how wealthy patrons could finance improvement projects and sort of power a region through development.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:04:43 AM by Vita »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Civic Expansion
« Reply #1: April 27, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
I don’t think this would require significant change to existing code

I imagine it could be done simply by adding new buildings like farms, villages, or windmills.

There's a fundamental disconnect here.

simply

And I don't know that you know what this word means...

It's a really cool idea, but the amount of work involved is...large.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: April 27, 2017, 09:53:15 PM »
There's a fundamental disconnect here.

And I don't know that you know what this word means...

It's a really cool idea, but the amount of work involved is...large.

I am truly a layman in terms of code, or the work involved  :'(
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 28, 2017, 01:06:49 AM »
That is evident.

Anyway, there is the similar (with probably far-less reaching consequences than you intended) incomplete estate buildings TODO.