Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Political Parties

Started by MaleMaldives, June 22, 2011, 09:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaleMaldives

It would be interesting if political parties could be put into the game(political parties might not be the best name considering the medieval setting but that idea). I think it could work for all types of government. For governments like monarchy, it would simple be like a faction of nobles that want a certain view point for their realm. Maybe for tyrannies it shouldn't be allowed though.

Now the actually implementation of it wouldn't change any game mechanics, but allow for some roleplay, message group, and possible referendums(that cause nothing but show a result). It would be different from secret guilds as everyone in the realm could see who is in what party if they choose to be in one. Anyone at any time can start a party, but would go away if x amount of nobles join it in y amount of days and then can't start another for awhile to prevent from party spamming. The purpose would create a message group for everyone in the party. Someone could easily spy in, but it isn't supposed to be a secret organization, but rather a way to communicate ideas without it being to the whole realm. Also someone can't join another party have x amount of days to prevent frequent flopping. It would also open up roleplays as people can check who is in what party, and be able to have names of factions when a realm is in dispute. If an election came up there wouldn't be an official game mechanic to put a person from the party on the ballot, but rather the party could have a quick referendum and they say they will vote for that person. There could be a party leader who is originally the party, but there isn't much power to it other then starting referendums. There could be a mechanic to replace the leader when people want it.

Fleugs

Ardet nec consumitur.

MaleMaldives

Except everyone could see who is in what, it would be limited to one realm, and wouldn't have to deal with guild houses.

Fleugs

Well I think that's just too much. I think guilds are perfect for a political faction. Why would they need to be known to the entire realm, explicitly?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shenron

Quote from: Fleugs on June 22, 2011, 09:53:16 AM
Well I think that's just too much. I think guilds are perfect for a political faction. Why would they need to be known to the entire realm, explicitly?

I tend to agree. What is being proposed here just isn't really that useful in a medieval setting. Guilds are as said; perfect.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

MaleMaldives

Well because when groups of people debate of things they usually take one side or the other so I think it would be an interesting feel to the game if you could see where people stand on stuff. It all wouldn't really mean much except add more flavor to the game. Even if you a part of a party you could still be apart of a guild that is planning on doing something else. Without dealing with guild houses you don't need to travel to a certain region to join and the parties can be more fluid. Mostly it is just too add more flavor to the game without adding any real game mechanics.

Shizzle

Quote from: MaleMaldives on June 22, 2011, 09:59:30 AM
Well because when groups of people debate of things they usually take one side or the other so I think it would be an interesting feel to the game if you could see where people stand on stuff. It all wouldn't really mean much except add more flavor to the game. Even if you a part of a party you could still be apart of a guild that is planning on doing something else. Without dealing with guild houses you don't need to travel to a certain region to join and the parties can be more fluid. Mostly it is just too add more flavor to the game without adding any real game mechanics.

You don't need to be in a certain region to send messages to other guild members..

The game already has factions in every (?) realm, I like it better when they're just organic. I'm not really for the idea of parties IRL, and certainly not in BM :P

Fleugs

Well, a "political party" wouldn't fit that much in a medieval setting of nobility, as it would more be a "faction". In essence, a faction that mostly has one clear goal in mind and cooperates to obtain its goals. In that sense, I think a guild would be perfect.

E.g.: in Riombara, my character would prefer to see a Monarchy over the Republic it is now. To obtain that, I have been considering founding a guild (a political faction), that would strive for the establishment of a monarchy through the current system of a republic (NOT a rebellion).

Also, I don't know how much you travel around... but in most realms, it isn't that much an effort to travel to a region once to join a guild. As soon as several lords join, your guild can spread and it's even easier to join up.

I'm sticking to the point that guilds are by far enough for this. Not to mention that every self-respecting noble will not submit himself to a "political party" that subscribes daily goals and policies of the realm. Think of it as "hawks" and "doves".
Ardet nec consumitur.

MaleMaldives

Quote from: Shizzle on June 22, 2011, 10:16:07 AM
You don't need to be in a certain region to send messages to other guild members..

Ah I don't think I said that? You have to be in a region with a guild house to "join" the guild is what I think I was saying.

Quote from: Shizzle on June 22, 2011, 10:16:07 AM
The game already has factions in every (?) realm, I like it better when they're just organic. I'm not really for the idea of parties IRL, and certainly not in BM :P

And yeah I know, just saying it would be could if there was system that could allow a name for these factions.

I mean I don't think this idea really changes anything or breaks the game at all, but allows some more tools for people to use if they want. Of course it is debatable if it is worth the time of the coders. I just don't think the idea will hurt anything about the game.

Chenier

Quote from: Fleugs on June 22, 2011, 10:19:16 AM
Well, a "political party" wouldn't fit that much in a medieval setting of nobility, as it would more be a "faction". In essence, a faction that mostly has one clear goal in mind and cooperates to obtain its goals. In that sense, I think a guild would be perfect.

E.g.: in Riombara, my character would prefer to see a Monarchy over the Republic it is now. To obtain that, I have been considering founding a guild (a political faction), that would strive for the establishment of a monarchy through the current system of a republic (NOT a rebellion).

Also, I don't know how much you travel around... but in most realms, it isn't that much an effort to travel to a region once to join a guild. As soon as several lords join, your guild can spread and it's even easier to join up.

I'm sticking to the point that guilds are by far enough for this. Not to mention that every self-respecting noble will not submit himself to a "political party" that subscribes daily goals and policies of the realm. Think of it as "hawks" and "doves".

We don't need game mechanics to control how players interact, not to mention that it would be completely unmedieval.

Political factions are extremely easily expressed as it is. Most realms have various factions, with a set of notable nobles promoting them. Fwuvoghor had a strong teroist monarchist faction constantly fighting the qyrvagg republicans, Enweil has a more passive bunch whom the more aggressive try to move out of inertia frequently, Springdale had a more liberal and culturally open branch staunchly opposed by the isolationist one, etc. etc.

It's often implicit more than explicit, and better this way. Not to mention that political parties are a !@#$ invention to begin with.  >:(
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

Quote from: Chénier on June 22, 2011, 01:25:40 PM
It's often implicit more than explicit, and better this way. Not to mention that political parties are a !@#$ invention to begin with.  >:(

Agreed. 8)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

Giblot has the Liberty Party. Almost half the realm joined, and the LP basically decided who was elected, because the other half of the realm didn't form a competing party (or even care, most likely).

songqu88@gmail.com

Guild/Secret Society whose goal is to address a certain stance, and will place its members into offices in various realms. That does appear to have been an intention of those organizations after all.

Anaris

No.

Totally out of place in the milieu, easily achieved through other means, and just generally not a good use of valuable coding time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan