Author Topic: End of SA?  (Read 16721 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: End of SA?
« Reply #15: July 17, 2016, 03:57:58 AM »
Again? There really needs to be a safeguard here. Both times this has happened it reeked of griefing.
We had a dev discussion the day it happened, and concluded that religions need the same defense realms have against Judges doing similar (it just requires a bit different coding work to make it work with guilds, not realms). You cannot kick more than 1/5th of religion in a two-day period. How long it takes for someone to implement, I can't tell you. But I can tell you that for every bug and approved feature, the best way for it to not be forgotten is to put it on the bugtracker. Which I know you are already good at, but public forum with other readers and all.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 18, 2016, 02:40:35 AM »
Just as an FYI, there was a completely in character reason why she did what she did. She went on a pilgrimage to commune with the stars, and they informed her that they had been corrupted by an entity seeking to destroy them, and as their last act she was told to burn what was left and start something new. So she did. No griefing.

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: July 18, 2016, 02:56:10 AM »
Just as an FYI, there was a completely in character reason why she did what she did. She went on a pilgrimage to commune with the stars, and they informed her that they had been corrupted by an entity seeking to destroy them, and as their last act she was told to burn what was left and start something new. So she did. No griefing.

And now we think Mariah went crazy. Talking to things that aren't there  ;D

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 18, 2016, 02:59:33 AM »
And that's kinda the point lol. She believes that the entities speaking to her are real and that she has been chosen to save the world by purging all those who are corrupt.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 18, 2016, 05:06:23 AM »
Brock's going to worship a Perdanite? :o
My other character also been seeing Ares too in his realm. So Ash Ketchum that used to worship Pokemon, now has to worship Ares? :P

We had a dev discussion the day it happened, and concluded that religions need the same defense realms have against Judges doing similar (it just requires a bit different coding work to make it work with guilds, not realms). You cannot kick more than 1/5th of religion in a two-day period. How long it takes for someone to implement, I can't tell you. But I can tell you that for every bug and approved feature, the best way for it to not be forgotten is to put it on the bugtracker. Which I know you are already good at, but public forum with other readers and all.
Anyway I disgress from the topic. Let me get back on track.

About this part. Hmmmm, so Judges can no longer ban any would-be rebels in two-day period?Reminded me of an itchy finger Judge who banned half the realm including my character. Of course half the realm means almost everyone rebel :D

Good to know there is Roleplay. So now SA wont end. Mariah has become corrupted Light according to SA ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 27, 2016, 02:30:46 AM »
And that's kinda the point lol. She believes that the entities speaking to her are real and that she has been chosen to save the world by purging all those who are corrupt.

Right... What corrupt person was even left in SA. Last time I was there people had gotten so blasé about the whole thing and the church had so little influence that it seemed no one cared to be corrupt because there was no power or influence to be seized anyway.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 27, 2016, 04:07:09 AM »
Right... What corrupt person was even left in SA. Last time I was there people had gotten so blasé about the whole thing and the church had so little influence that it seemed no one cared to be corrupt because there was no power or influence to be seized anyway.

Which is a perfect reason to purge it. The followers are only going through the motions anymore, they don't have true faith.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: July 27, 2016, 06:41:53 AM »
Which is a perfect reason to purge it. The followers are only going through the motions anymore, they don't have true faith.

Then why not whip them into a frenzy and try and take back the holy land and only purge the people that wont go along with it?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 27, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
Then why not whip them into a frenzy and try and take back the holy land and only purge the people that wont go along with it?
Because those wanting to whip people into frenzies are divided into multiple religions themselves and thus would spend more time trying to get the tolerants of their religion to join them in frenzy against other religions than cooperate with frenzies of other faiths. But the result is some mixed, watered-down, tolerant-frenzy response.

Also, because people mostly do not care about holy land, or other roleplay background, unless their realm is affected. Ahem, *unless their realm is affected *militarily*. Places like Morek Empire make me sick for their complete character inconsistency with roleplay.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:57:22 PM by Vita »

Shulee

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: July 27, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »
People in the various religious camps need to recognize that RP is co-operative and that even though you may think that your idea and play provides something that should motivate more of us, that other people do not. If religious leaders try to go beyond setting a background to my realm's culture and move into setting constrictions or prescriptions on my realm's policies I'm going to ignore them or use what I find helpful and ignore the rest.

In other words, we don't buy all that you're selling. Try reshaping your RP to be more interesting and helpful to us rather than wailing on why we won't play your way.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 27, 2016, 04:34:34 PM »
If religion acts that way, it is meaningless. The whole point of religion is to have a set of loyalties and restrictions that conflict with those in the realm.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 27, 2016, 04:45:25 PM »
I think there is a place for both. Religion needs to be cooperative enough to work with multiple realms, personal flavor roleplay etc. But at the same time, it does need core values it needs to stand for that, at times, generates conflicts. Religion should be supportive and helpful when you hold those values, but discipline when you do not. In my view, those values should be based on our OOC interests in maintaining an enjoyable playing atmosphere, not just IC theology-flavor.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:47:18 PM by Vita »

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: July 27, 2016, 05:15:35 PM »
It kinda bothers me that almost every single person just rejoined the SA and not a thing was said about it. It was just, "Oh, she went crazy and corrupt" when she literally stated (as an elder of the faith and light of the stars) that the stars were corrupted and had been taken over by a demonic influence.

It's the equivalent of the Pope saying "god is evil" and everyone just going, "meh, whatever".

I was hoping there would be some more roleplaying about it, but there was one, one letter sent to me from someone in the SA, and that was Helm.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 27, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
It kinda bothers me that almost every single person just rejoined the SA and not a thing was said about it. It was just, "Oh, she went crazy and corrupt" when she literally stated (as an elder of the faith and light of the stars) that the stars were corrupted and had been taken over by a demonic influence.

It's the equivalent of the Pope saying "god is evil" and everyone just going, "meh, whatever".

I was hoping there would be some more roleplaying about it, but there was one, one letter sent to me from someone in the SA, and that was Helm.
That's exactly how I felt with Seoras and ESA after Jonsu, Helm's secular-political reformation, Alaster going crazy etc. I recall both Constantine Meneldur and Mariah Greyson saying they were going to join ESA and help lead it and then suddenly 'back to rejoining SA and working with the establishment for months of nothing changing'.

Also, the Pope saying 'God is evil' would probably result in the Pope being considered as mentally ill, not Catholics suddenly disavowing the beliefs they've had their entire life, so I'm not surprised by that reaction to Mariah. Seoras with ESA went with a continuation of SA by 'we are the Second Church as prophesied by Mathurin'.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: July 27, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
If I recall correctly, Mariah said she would join If the ESA followed the prophet directly and had only Mathurin as the sole prophet, which whoever I spoke with disagreed to.

Though at that point I had kind of stopped caring about Battlemaster and was just going through the motions. I had a really long period of just playing the game without writing anything.